Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

What type of broad head do you use.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Ruff, Jun 11, 2003.

What style broad head do you use

1. Fixed style

76 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Mechanical Style

24 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

when I had broad heads fly all over the place, it was because the surface area of the blades took over what the feathers used to do.....I had to go to a two blade instead of the four blade, because I didnt want to add feather length or numbers....I think the feathers have to be large enough to control the flight....try going with longer feather or vanes...and see if that straightens out the flight....it may slow the arrow down some though....,,,good luck....bob

2. FishForSmallies

FishForSmallies Senior Refuge Member

I used to be in the "I will never use mechanicals" camp, but I hurt my shoulder a few years ago and now can't practice very much. I made the switch to mechanical heads because they fly more like field points, that way I don't have to spend as much time fine tuning my hunting arrows.

I have shot three bucks with Rocket Steelhead 125's and two of the three were pass through shots, one was stuck a good four inches in the ground. The third shot caught the shoulder blade but still went through and lodged in the opposite front leg. That has made me a believer.

Downside is that they are not extremely durable. I haven't used the same broadhead twice.

I wouldn't use them hunting elk or moose, but I think they work great for whitetails.

3. BamaBuckshot

BamaBuckshot Elite Refuge Member

I've used 100gr. Thunderheads for years. But I'm thinking of switching to mechanical.

4. stinger13

stinger13 Senior Refuge Member

muzzy 4 blade 125 grain.
    bad to the bone

5. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

I have used 'em all over the years. Liked the flight of the mech's but, they take more energy to open and I was not getting complete passthroughs. Sometimes on deer that are angling away the mechs will glance, rather than penetrate. Three years ago I switched to steelforce 100 gr. stainless and WHOA MOMMA:eek: :eek: . I shot a hog, which is the toughest of animals, and had one go completely through the neck and ****ter the opposite shoulder. That made me a believer. Have some that have been through a couple of animals and are in my quiver for another go round...

6. BA Ducker

BA Ducker Senior Refuge Member

Well, I HAVE Muzzy 3 blade 125 gr. Cant say thats what I use cause I haven't used one YET. ;) Last year was my first time to ever hunt deer.

7. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

Simmons landshark 2-blade. Used Zwicky on a swedged aluminum shaft for nearly 15 years but I like the wide cut the Simmons makes.

8. ARMallardSlayer

ARMallardSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I changed back to fixed and choose Muzzys..........100 grain 3 blades..........

9. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak Refuge Member

spitfire 100's, love um.

I've never had a problem with them. I do shoot a very fast arrow though. I could see people having problems with penetration if they choose to shoot lower #, lighter arrow etc.

I used thunderheads in the past and liked them as well.

10. thejohnchapman

thejohnchapman Senior Refuge Member

I have a bunch og NAP Thunderhead 100s still in inventory, but I have gone to Muzzy 100s. Both are accurate, and both are suffficiently tough for repeat use on deer. Muzzys, however, don't come apart when unscrewed from the shaft, come with practice blades, and cost the same.

Still, you won't go wrong with Thunderheads.