Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

What type of broad head do you use.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Ruff, Jun 11, 2003.

What style broad head do you use

1. Fixed style

76 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Mechanical Style

24 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. 8E Duece

8E Duece Senior Refuge Member

75 gr rockets.8 for 8.7 complete pass thru's.Never lost a deer.Never had a deer go farther than 100 yrds.

2. Backpeddler

Backpeddler Elite Refuge Member

Fellas I gotta to tell you what I have seen from the first mechanicals that I used this year. First of all I was more than reluctant to try them after using Thunderhead fixed blades for years. But I decided this year i was gonna try them for a couple of reasons. One I was curious as to the job they would do and two our deer limits allow you multiple deer with a bow. In fact you must take a second doe before you can shoot a second buck of the four deer allowed in the zone that I hunt. So I decided to try the spitfire 100 grain matched with some ICS Beman arrows on some does. I also switched to a Mathews Icon bow.

Well I took an early doe at 27.5 yards (did I mention the range finder I bought for the Elk trip?) and I caught her shoulder. My worst fear with the mechanicals. Well that broadhead penetrated the first shoulder and buried into the opposite shoulder and that doe fell like a piano hit her. The arrow broke off in side of her and I recovered the broadhead. After cleaning out the depressions that the blades fit into the broadhead lokked to be in great shape. I bought replacements anyway but I was amazed at the durability.

Last night I shot my second doe needed to shoot two bucks and this doe was only 10 yards out. I put the sho through her back and it exited between the teo fron legs and out her chest. The most impressive exit hole I have ever seen from any weapon. It was a pass through that left an exit hole 4 inchis in diameter. I don't mean a star hole but a 4 inch round gapping hole. Needless to say she only went 40 yards which was great in that it was raining.

I am sold on the mechanicals.

3. colinz

colinz Senior Refuge Member

I switched to expandables reluctantly 3 yrs ago after the 10000th headache involved with getting thunderhead 100's to fly clean. I could not be happier with spitfires. They definitely make a significant difference on marginal hits. Bottom line shootem in the lungs and it simply does not matter what broadhead your using. sharp = dead

colin

4. arctic hunter

arctic hunter Elite Refuge Member

Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blade for me.

i have shot everything from Moose to deer with them, and they do the job.

they also dont plane as bad in the wind as some two blades do.

5. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

Just bumping this back up as I seen Joe Dirt asking about them and tought ya'll that did not see this would find it interesting.

Ruff

6. The Duck Whisperer

The Duck Whisperer Senior Refuge Member

I use a 100 gr. Rocket Steelhead mechanical right now but I'm thinking about going to the 100 gr. spitfires this coming year. I just can't seem to get a true flight from a fixed with my setup.

7. bugleboy

bugleboy Moderator

Muzzy 75 grain fixed broadheads, only way to go with the fixed!

8. branthntr

branthntr Senior Refuge Member

fixed blade 100 grn 4 blade muzzy

9. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    Rocket mechanical...100 gr

Joe

10. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak Refuge Member

Fixed blade guys........check out the Slick Trick and GKF Deadheads. Great broadheads that tune real easy. I've used mechs alot with great success but I'm going to mess around with these broadheads over the summer.