What type of disc?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by QuackerWhackers, Sep 25, 2017.

1. QuackerWhackers

QuackerWhackers New Member

I have a 45 HP tractor 4 X 4 and would like to know what kind of disc to buy and how big? Do I buy a 3 point disc or a pull behind disc with wheels? Thanks for any help. I was told 1 foot for every 5 HP? Is that correct?

2. xpress1650

xpress1650 New Member

3 point for the size hp tractor you have. Wheel disc are heavy and cut deeper but it would really work your tractor over. A little moisture and a 3 point will work fine. I like the roto tillers but they are higher than a 3 point. width I would go 6 ft. Make sure adjust your top arm where your disc is level. add some weight to it if you have too. The hp ratio to foot also determines how heavy disc you have. Cheap angle iron disc (don't recommend) is light. I have seen some 6 foot 3 points that are heavy and a 45 hp wouldn't pull. Really depends on your disc weight.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

You can do a 6 footer with that setup. 18" or 20" discs. If you have the extra change laying around, as xpress noted, a 6' tiller would make you a lot happier person. I found an old Long brand (FORD) 6'er tiller for $400 on Craigslist. It's a heavy sumbitch, and not the greatest, but it turns over the dirt well. The newer types would put it to shame.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Also, if you get a disc, get an adjustable one, where you can angle the discs.

5. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Get one with scrapers or install some aftermarket ones... otherwise, marsh gumbo will plug your disks and you will loose skin off your knuckles trying to bust clogs.