What type of upland do you hunt?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Squaller, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

What kind of upland hunting do you do? As a duck hunter and upland hunter, I am more interested in shooting different types of upland birds than different types of ducks. As far as ducks go, if I could kill limits of sprig and mallards the rest of my life, I would be thrilled.

However, I am always interested in shooting different types of upland birds. Currently my favorite upland bird is valley quail. I also shoot dove, pheasant, some mountain quail, and snipe, with the occasional chuckar (generally a bonus bird when quail hunting). My to-do list on upland would be huns, a good wild chuckar hunt, wild BobWhites, scaled or blue quail, and any type of grouse.

I enjoy seeing the different types of upland birds and the terrain that has been posted up? Here are a couple of pics of previous hunts for myself, please post up yours.

Of course we shoot a lot of dove. Pictured below is my wife with 4 birds and me with a limit plus a Euro from this season:
    [​IMG]

Monty with a limit of valley quail from last season:
    [​IMG]

This picture shows some of the terrain a bit better. Contrary to the name, valley quail are rarely found in the valleys. Here is a picture of my buddy and myself with our two dogs:
    [​IMG]

And of course we still get some wild pheasants as well:
    [​IMG]

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

....but that's it for Illinois. I've always wanted to go North for Ruffed Grouse and been invited but I've waited too long in life to think I could still do that kind of walking or brush busting.
    My Pheasant hunting now is being relagated to the "blocker" position. Never thought I'de see the day that would happen but HERE IT IS!:(

3. Squaller

Nothin' wrong with being a blocker. Wish I could figure out a way to do that on quail.:h

I would also like to chase some grouse... I am more likely to hunt the blues though. I would love to see some pics of those Bob White hunts though. I can't even imagine shooting at quail that hold.:nutz

4. dirty bird

dirty bird Senior Refuge Member

Grouse and prairie chickens are my favorite bird to hunt. You think I would say pheasant since I've lived in South Dakota for 10 years but I could care less about those ditch parrots ;)
    I finally have my own bird dog and he is exactly what I want and need for how I hunt. I'm moving to Montana in a couple of weeks and I am going to try to get all the upland bird species I can. The blue grouse eluded me last time I hunted there.
    I've been lucky enough to harvest many species of upland birds and forest grouse including pheasant, sharptail grouse, prairie chickens, sharptail/prairie chicken hybrid, ruffed grouse, sage grouse, spruce grouse, and doves. I've missed huns and blue grouse but I'm young and still have time to get them.
    I really want to go after quail sometime. My sister-in-law lives in Phoenix and we told her we might make a winter trip down there to see her and my nephew and chase a few quail.

5. Quail and pheasants. The quail have pretty much met their demise in this part of KS. Last year was teh first since 1968 that my Dad didn't shoot a quail and the first since 1994 that I didn't. Try to go pheasant hunting out west once a year, but unless you have private land it can be pretty fruitless. Didn't bag a pheasant either. Sad thing was my shorthair died in December and he was probably the last dog I will have that actually got to see good quail hunting round these parts.

I also get in on the dove action, but only a couple times a year for the social aspect. It just doesn't hold the allure it did 10 years ago for me.

6. dirty bird

dirty bird Senior Refuge Member

Grouse in Alaska - sharptail grouse, spruce grouse, ruffed grouse
    [​IMG]

Central SD mixed bag - sharptail grouse and a prairie chicken
    [​IMG]

Wisconsin ruffed grouse - ruffies are my favorite bird to eat
    [​IMG]

Montana sage grouse
    [​IMG]

My pup's first hunt last fall behind my house - sharptail grouse and pheasants
    [​IMG]

SW SD last day of upland season last fall - limit of pheasants, sharptail grouse, and hybrid sharptail/prairie chicken
    [​IMG]

7. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

My favorite of all birds to hunt are ruffed grouse. I hunt dove, woodcock, ringnecks, too.

8. Squaller

Dirty Bird,

Excellent post.:tu I really enjoyed those pictures. It looks like you are shooting a Ruger 20 ga.?

I really like the 20 ga. for upland, as it is lighter, and I can get on the birds faster. Although I shoot an O/U better, with quail, I like the auto-loader. I might walk all day for a bird here and there, then get into a covey where I can shoot and reload for 5 or 6 six birds. On the picture with Monty and the quail, I actually killed the majority of my limit out of one covey basically standing in one spot. A large covey (about 80 birds) got into some briars and kept popping up in two's and three's.:D

One of these days, I will have to scratch that itch for grouse. Those pics make me really want to go after em'.

9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Greybeard - my father in law is 75 and still hunts Ruffies 10 - 20 days a year. No need to bust brush - that's the dog's job, or, if you are hinting without a dog, go the the old paper cut overs in up both WI and walk the logging roads in the AM or evening - the birds will be more likely to be towards the edge at those times and you'll get some shooting in. This is going to be a better year than expected for Ruffs up north, and the leaves have just started to come down so there is a lot of time left to get up there and get some - get after it.

10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Heading to northern WI in 3 weeks for Ruffs ands Timberdoodles - can't wait.

We've got a couple Blues so far in CO this year and will get after the Sharpies in Neb in 2 weeks after the duck opener and we'll get to SD for a few days of pheasant in October as well. Last year we had a decent year on quail in CO on the river bottoms, and this year seems promising so far as there have been a lot of quail singing when we've been out working on properties.

Yee ha!