What type of upland do you hunt?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Squaller, Sep 23, 2011.

1. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

I go up to Valier MT every other year. You are not kidding about the drive... on the way up it's OK. The way home after walking your legs off is a killer (26 hours of seat time). The scenery and cool nights are wonderful. Nothing like finding a shady watering spot with the dogs at the end of the day. Thanks for jogging memories of nice trips. It's a trip where both the dogs and hunters are snoring by 9PM the third day.

2. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

Bob, I'm going on 62 and so many trips across ND. I thank God for every trip now. I was out there early Sept, upland hunting and scouting for Elk. I have the dream hunt of a lifetime ahead of me. Either sex elk rifle hunt North Breaks. Quite sure this will be my last elk hunt, but hey! what a way to finish.:)

3. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Oh to be 62 again:bow Enjoy:grvn

4. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Any of you guys done any upland hunts outside of North Anerica? How do they compare?

We used to hunt huns and sharpies in southern Saskatchewan - great shooting when you got on them. I also hunted sage grouse many years ago near Wolf Point MT and found it to be an interesting hunt.

If only time and money weren't obstacles. :l

5. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

Today was my first day out this season. Season opened Saturday but I work weekends. Rained all night and most of the day ( we've had over forty inches of rain since August). Hunted an abandoned farm for pheasant with cover over my head and flooded fields. Jess, my setter, pointed 4 pheasants and we got all four and called it a day after an hour. Miserable conditions but another season has started.

Dennis

6. MIGRATOR83

MIGRATOR83 Senior Refuge Member

Mostly doves,quail,and pheasants. I don't rabbit hunt anymore.

7. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I hunt stocked pheasants, migrating woodcock and a few rare grouse over in southern NY here.

the grouse used to be abundant, but it just has gone downa dn not recovered.. I did shoot one last season though. I absolutely love gunning the timberdoodles...I have about four or five fantastic spots that always pulls the little birds on their way to NJ. usually i get a limit, because if I flush one, i know Ill flush some more, and if i dont get a shot , just watch the general direction they went and hunt em up again.. I keep my lab with about 20 feet..and only send her farther when there is a big blob of cover i cant get through.

NY and CT have different ideas about woodcock though, there season start about 27 days apart!!!

bbad bad bob

8. jon

jon Elite Refuge Member

There is nothing better than hunting behind a good pointing dog. Last year, was my first trip out to South Dakota to chase some sharptails, prairie chickens and pheasants. Although we did good on pheasants it was the prairie chicken that really got my blood flowing. In addition, in the past three years I have hunted Ruffed Grouse which I absolutely love and woodcock. I duck hunt to fill in the days when I can't get up north.

9. RCshooter12

RCshooter12 Senior Refuge Member

Pheasant and quail mostly. We used to have a very good field for prairie chickens but it was leased out a couple years ago to deer hunters. That same spot held a couple nice coveys of quail as well. Since we lost that spot the amount of upland hunting we do has decreased.

10. Wally Dog

Wally Dog Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Idaho examples................
    What lives here.........chukar, huns, quail, sage grouse, blue grouse, ruffed grouse.....................
    WD