What upland birds are we hunting for the opener..

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Flyfisher, Aug 20, 2012.

1. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

Ill have to check that book out. You getting out this year, Greybeard? I'm ready for fall. Hopefully the trout streams pick back up and I get into a bunch of birds. Lookin forward to having a drink and watching the snow fly, as well.

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

....and it was spectacular! It was a place (pay to fish) that we hadn't been to before over in S.W. Missouri and we had a BALL with the BIG trout!
    I can't remember the name of it but part of it is "Covered Bridge."
    Most of the Trout I caught were around 18" and were real scrappers....best I've caught since a trip to Wyoming 16 years ago.
    Probably try fishing the White down in Arkansas next year as my fishing buddies like that real well.

3. theswampthing

I've heard the White is pretty good. Way too far for me, but I know a few people on here that fish it. We have a delayed harvest/fly fish only section of river here that should pick up once the water cools down some.

That place you fished at sounds decent. I could deal with catching 18 inchers.

My buddy also has a lease on a farm that's full of grouse and has a native trout stream running through it. Gonna spend a weekend camped out hunting and fishing.

4. Duck Monster

Duck Monster Senior Refuge Member

Those that fly:sp I hope grouse if my pointer does his job and the golden bb finds its mark.

5. Greybeard

Where do you hail from (other than the deck of The Flying Dutchman"??)

Grouse is only a word to me since I live in the "State of Not Much To Hunt".
    As near as I've gotten to a Grouse is a painting of a brace....one flying and the other setting on a tree limb....as we seem to be just a bit too far South to have the right "makin's" for them. They sure are good eatin', though....as I was invited to a "Ruffed Grouse Society" supper once over in Northern Ohio.
    When I was still a kid (about 65 years ago) I had plenty of hedge rows and such to hunt for Quail and plenty of Quail in them. Now the Hedges are gone and so are the Quail (although I have located 4 Coveys this Summer)
    and might just see if I can maybe get me a brace for the table come November.;)

6. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

Funny... where I hunt dove (Hamilton County, Tx) there is a Flying Dutchman Shop... quite festive with great peanut brittle.

7. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

But your a mere dozen hour drive at most to great grouse land. And Quail to your southwest is good in the right places along with some of them painted ditch chickens/parrots whatever you prefer to call em! :)

I'm bettin you could still outwalk alot of folk Dan!

Doug

8. theswampthing

Dan, I live in Northeast PA, Coaldale to be exact. We're lucky enough to have a decent number of ruffed grouse where I live. Most of the hunting is mountains and thick laurels. I would say that I shoot at half the birds I flush, and kill 10% of the birds I shoot at. Killing 1 bird in a day of hunting is a really great day. :l It's really fun, but sort of hard hunting. I'll post up some pictures of where I hunt tomorrow.

The guys are right, you don't live too far from good grouse country, but its a little more difficult than pheasant hunting.

9. theswampthing

By the way Dan, hope you kill a few quail this fall. I got a new shotgun that I can't wait to take out for Grouse.:yes

10. Greybeard

I've given most of my guns to my 3 boys last year, keeping only my Savage Double 20 and Stevens Single 16. I also have my Great Grandfathers W.W. Greener S x S 12 Ga. but I have never shot it as the Mfg. date is 1868 in
    St. Marys Works, Birmingham England. It must have been set in the closet and never had any attention for many, many years. The barrels are paper thin at the muzzles and the beautiful scrolled engraving needs to be "chased" to clean it up. Even the screw-heads and Rabbit Ear Hammers have tiny, intricate engraving on them.
    I've been told (years ago) that he was quite a Bird Hunter but he died many years before I was born and... try as I may.....that darned gun won't tell me even one little story about all the places it's been to and birds it has dropped.;)
    When you get old, like me, some things with "seasoned age" become worth more than money.;)