What upland birds are we hunting for the opener..

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Flyfisher, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

......PLEASE keep it going on down through the SEASON as old farts like me love to hear about the Bird hunting and Fly Fishing you younger guys are having.:clap

2. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Hey Greybeard, post up a photo of your great grandfathers shotgun. I'd love to see it.

3. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

Yup. I second that. Would like to see it too.

Greaybeard, my uncle gave me a Fulton 12gauge SxS from the early 20's. I'll post up a pic for you here in a little bit.

I wish my grandpa's shotgun was still around. My uncle told me he had a Model 12 and hunted pheasant in southern PA when we still had wild birds here.

4. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Dan,

That Greener is da bomb! Glad to hear your holding onto that, its a great shotgun. I'd love to get my hands on one, but dang they burn when I hear/see
    the price. My grandpaps doubles were given away :cry 2 yrs before I started hunting, gram didn't think anyone in the family was gonna pick up the tradition. She gave me the manuals one day, said I might know someone that can use them. :cry:cry They were original Browning SxS's, 3 of them. He was killed in WW II. I think that's why I've never gotten rid of any guns!

Doug

5. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

I've just purchased my MT hunting lic. I'll be in and around Valier (just SE of glacier np) From Sept 5-9. My friends and I meet up every couple of years for some hun and sharptail shooting. This year will be kind of bittersweet... one of our hosts has colon cancer and has not been doing so well.

Danny, I'll take some pictures for you (or better yet, if I'm lucky enough to kill a few birds ) and maybe bring you back a few sharpies for fly tying.

I suppose I'll get my 20 GA citori out. It's getting the bluing worn off of it in all the right places. Nothing like hunting all day, having a couple beers and snoring with the dogs. I better remember to bring ear plugs or go to sleep first.

6. theswampthing

Here's the Fulton, Dan. It's actually a Delphia Arms made for a hardware store in Philly. Basically a Fulton Ranger.

[​IMG]

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

....how to attach a photo here....and also one of a Bluewing Teal my oldest Son carved for me a few years ago.

Scott: I won't be able to tie any Flies as my hands shake quite a bit from the Stroke I had....but thanks for the offer.

That old Fulton Hammer Gun is a sweet piece, Swamper! Hang on to it.

8. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

Scott: I won't be able to tie any Flies as my hands shake quite a bit from the Stroke I had....but thanks for the offer.

Danny:

If you know anybody else who might want a hackle or two let me know.

Well, when we pop the cork at the end of the first day, I'll toast you with a snort of 100 proof and a chaser of homemade Rhubarb wine. It will be Sept 6 about 7pm your time.

9. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

I'll be doing my annual Sept trip, leaving about the 9th for a week, ten days. Lots of things to do. Mountain grouse, Huns and Sharptails. Scouting out Mule Deer and Pheasants. Then around the 10th of Oct it's Ducks and Pheasants.:)

10. theswampthing

Dove birds tomorrow!