What weights do you use

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by cholt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

well kinda wondering what others use? I used to use the lead wrap around sticks then swapped over to longer cord and large egg sinkers. Now I actually have found free weights that are awesome I have had Canada floaters in high winds not move while my buddy’s kept floating off until we tied them to my dekes,anyways not sure if any of y’all are in the line work industry but I have been collecting what we call donuts on our guy breakers to use on my dekes and man they work great and are free. I think I have 3 5 gallon buckets of them figure I might as well stock pile some.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I have decoys strung with 1 oz weights, 2 oz weights, 3 oz weights, 4 oz weights, 6 oz weights and 8 oz weights. It just depends on where I'm hunting and for what. There is not one weight that is appropriate for all conditions.

Ringbill likes this.
  3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have seen the lifting hook or nose cone out of artillery rounds used as anchors

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

What he said.

5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I use primarily 4 oz weights in my permanent spread - j hooks. I think biggest reason decoys move is lines are to short so that when wind and big waves or water rises, the decoy has enough buocancy to lift weight up and drift. I use about an extra 2 feet of line as I also want my decoys widely spaced and never have issues.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you steal them from your work, I guess you can say they're free. :l

Seriously, can you post a picture of these items?

I cast my own 2oz. mushroom-type weights. Never had one pull out, but I hunt exclusively over soft mud or sand bottoms. I also use line that is 1 1/2 to 2 times water depth which, as CA said, is the key to light anchors holding well.

7. cholt

Well I wouldn’t call it stealing we throw them away every time we pull a guy or cut one in so they usually hit the garbage can so I would say I’m recycling and helping out the world :clap:clap

Ringbill likes this.
  8. cholt

All my lines are around 8 ft I usually hunt humps in deep water so the longer the better

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Fair enough. Can you post a picture of one of these items?

10. cholt

62CB28C6-CEA8-455E-A2C6-B7837727A1D6.jpeg