Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Duckexpress, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Duckexpress

Duckexpress Senior Refuge Member

There is a well known duck hole here in central alabama off the river that has been hunted for years. The hole is accessed by the river and it always has water summer and winter. Well this year the land owner took a dozier and pushed over several trees across the entrance to the hole right off the river. First off is this legal for the land owner to intentionally block a navigable waterway like that? Second, would you take a chain saw and cut the trees where you could get to the whole? Thanks for opinions.

2. baileydog

baileydog Elite Refuge Member

No you can not do that. Call the game warden or marine police.

If they do nothing then get a chain saw and wack that tree.

3. Duckexpress

i did not think what they did was legal. The only problem with calling the game warden is that these people that own the land have a lot of ties with the state so i am not sure how far that would go. When you are one of the only road builder in the state you have some pull if you know what i mean. Not sure what i am going to do yet.

4. wigenhead

wigenhead Senior Refuge Member

If its not your land why does it make you so mad that the one who does own it has decided not to let anyone else hunt on it.
    If you owned a piece of property would you not want the right to control what went on on that piece of property?

5. Luckytiger

Luckytiger Senior Refuge Member

Hmmmmm.....must be WS Newell property.:fp

6. baileydog

Well you can own the grass right down to the water line after that it belongs to all of us. It is not on his property and that is the point.

I do not care if you own 9 miles of lake frontage. Your rights stop at the water.
    I try to repsect a land owner's space but 100 yards from his house is all I am required to give him.

7. wigenhead

wigenhead Senior Refuge Member

If we are talking of waterways only. You confuse me with your statement of respect.

8. jsk881

jsk881 Refuge Member

Did the trees fall into what is considered a federal ran "navigalbe" waterway? If not then there is nothing you can do.

9. Duckexpress

The trees were pushed over by a dozer into a navigable waterway. They do not own the land. The spot is right off the main river channel and it always has water during the dry summer months and winter.

10. baileydog

I stay way more than 100 yards away from houses. So as not to get the homeowner angry. That is the respect I show them.

Yes, waterways.