What's it cost to duck hunt in IL?

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by cride1, Mar 2, 2018.

1. cride1

cride1 Senior Refuge Member

Hey all. I like in NE MO and looking at a piece of property across the river in IL. I tried to do some research on what is costs for out of state licenses to hunt waterfowl, but want to see if anybody on here has actual real life information.

$57.75 - out of state hunting license
    $15.50 - State waterfowl stamp
    $73.25 - Total + Federal Stamp

What about dove? The IL DNR site is confusing. There is a State Habitat Stamp for $5.50 then a "Free Dove Hunting Permit". It looks like you do actually have to get the free permit? Would we need the $5.50 permit? Do we need the out of state hunting license to hunt dove?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

The free permit would be for a state run site to reserve a spot. You should just need the habitat stamp if you are hunting private ground.

3. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

The Habitat Stamp, unless except for a disability or under 16 yrs or pen released birds on State ground or a put & take club (paragraph #6, page 8), is needed to hunt all species, other than waterfowl, regardless of if its private or State land.

The "Free dove permit" that LBS speaks of above, is for a reservation on some state areas. The usual time to apply on-line for a dove permit/reservation is in May or June. Residents get priority / first pick in the first draw.

Some of our rules / requirements can appear to be a bit intimidating when trying to read them, but it aint that bad.

Look at page 8 of this link ( and page 9 for prices on stamps, deer tags and so on ). Residents and Non-Res has their own columns that you have to look at / from.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/documents/HuntTrapDigest.pdf

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

The one cost you should pay special attention to would be your property taxes. Of course there are many variables, but as people are fleeing this state in record numbers due to our out of control politicians, I would be very wary of buying anything in IL.

5. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

The one cost you should pay special attention to would be your property taxes. Of course there are many variables, but as people are fleeing this state in record numbers due to our out of control politicians, I would be very wary of buying anything in IL.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Have to agree I would not buy anything in Illinois property taxes are the second highest in the country there. Here's a bit more reading on it
    https://smartasset.com/taxes/illinois-property-tax-calculator

7. cride1

cride1 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the input guys. You have given me everything I need to know at this point.