Whats the consensus on Remington Nitro Steel?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by MNBucksNDucks, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Every brand has bad runs. You only hear the squeaky wheel. Over the years I've had problems with several. I had terrible problems with Kent faststeel more than once. 2 or more bloopers/misfires per box from a case of 3.5'" and a case of 3". They replaced it and it was just as bad. Will never waste another cent on Kent but some people love it and swear by it. I had problems with a single case of Remington sportsmans but no problems since. Never had a single issue with nitrosteel. I got a case of Xperts that had the primers seated too deep and had several FTF's per box. Point is, you never know until you buy. Don't make your choice to buy or not based on a few bad reports. You don't hear from the hundreds of people that have no problems and nothing to complain about.

creedsduckman likes this.
  2. MNBucksNDucks

MNBucksNDucks Refuge Member

Billy bob this is very true! Now that I think about it, how many times do you read good reports on something (other than paid spokespeople, or reviewers such as the big magazine titles that give every product a perfect review). The point that I'm getting at is that what you are saying is very true, every product will have a bad batch or two and the people that get them, well you'll definitely be hearing about it. On the other hand most people don't go out and "review" a product that has been working fine for them for years. I guess I was just trying to see if there was a large sum of people that actually did experience problems with the ammunition to the point of where id be worrisome to purchase a case or two.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had overall very good results with Nitro Steel with the only exception being the BBB’s in 10 gauge (early 90’s) wouldn’t penetrate very well on giant Canada geese at 45+ yards.

On advice from a client (@88YO and has killed hundreds if not thousands since 1943) I did try a box of Remington Sportsman steel and was pleasantly surprised.

4. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Interesting. I would say
    "the 10 gauge 88 pellet T loads were the most devastating loads we've ever seen". Dropped giant Canadian geese at yardages were no man should ever attempt.

5. bluebill77

bluebill77 Senior Refuge Member

Nitro-Steels...one of my top two favorite loads! I have used them in the old green & yellow box and the following green & gray/silver box. One bad shell in thousands of shots. Great pattern, dependable, hard-hitting. In the 1300 -1450 fps loads. I have not used the new green & yellow box configuration.

bb77

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps, I should have been shooting “T” pellets.

7. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

The case I had issue with were purchased Nov 2017 and had the new box. When they shoot properly, they pattern well and kill ducks as well as other shell. Just had one F2F per box and a few dud loads with wad stuck in barrel.

Another issue I had, which I won't attribute to failure of the shell necessarily, was failure to eject on good fired rounds on a very cold day. My gun was a little dirty and dry, and it was in the teens, and I had 3 failure to eject from the Nitros. My dad next to me had Fed blue box so I switched and never had an issue the remainder of the day. I cleaned and oiled the gun well that night and had no further issues. While patterning on a nice spring day, I noticed the Fed blue box were ejecting twice the distance from my gun as the Nitros. I believe this greater ejection force in my cold dry gun was what caused the Feds to work but not the Nitros on that day.

I didn't sign them off b/c of this, I was ready to try another case this past fall but the rebate never was offered to my knowledge, so I'm trying the new Fed blue box to see if they're really cleaner. I'd have never switched from them if they weren't so dirty.

8. NW BIRDHUNTER

Maybe. They were lower velocity and I believe most of the loads did have limited range, however the T's constantly broke wings. I don't think Remington has loaded Nitro Steel 10 gauge in BBB or T's for years.

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

10. NW BIRDHUNTER

Nice. Now if I could actually "See some" at a "reasonable price and availability", I would definitely be interested in the 1500 FPS BBB's!

Actually see it for $$ 30.00 a box. Too rich for my blood. I can get Federal 3.5" 10 gauge @ 1450 FPS for $20.00 a box.

Last edited: May 1, 2019