What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by goosenazi, Jan 23, 2012.

1. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Between getting pinched and flipping on the pinchee and starting a new call company?

2. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

1) you go to jail. 2) you get off for whatever you did for helping with number 1. 3) Its a great way to distance yourself from 1 and 2.

3. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Referring to anyone in particular?

Is big always better?

4. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

Usually, the "flipper" is guilty of less serious offenses and/or guilty of committing fewer of them. Often, coercing the "flipper" to flip is the best, may be, only way to insure a conviction of the primary offender.

It's sort of like busting the street dealer to get the guy who is distributing the stuff to a multitude of dealers. The cops would like to bust them all and not have to make deals to do that, but it's often the only practical way get at the big offender.

Does that make the "flipper" less worthy of being targeted as an offender? No, but that doesn't make him an equal or better target than the primary offender, either. I have to assume the LEO's made the correct choice in who they wanted to make an example. And, so it seems, based on the reports of the activities of the "primary" offender.

Those activities hardly seem heinous enough to justify 13 months in prison, but that's how the feds work. There is a reason people used to say, "Don't make a federal case out of it." The feds take what would be a minor offense in state courts very seriously.

I remember a couple fellows in my town, who used to go out west, ND or SD, for deer hunting. While out there one year, they ran into a fellow in a bar and told him they got their deer every year. He offered to take them out ... and they agreed .... jacklighting deer as their method. He was a federal informant.

When they returned to Ohio, they got cited into federal court for transporting illegally taken deer across state lines. At the time, had the charges been in state court, they would have lost their licenses for 3 years and received a $250 fine, each. In federal court, one guy got 6 months in prison and a $5000 fine, while the other received a 3 month sentence with a $2000? fine.

You don't screw with the feds. You're going to pay the price, one way or another. And, they're going to exert a lot of pressure to get you to cooperate with them if you're not the primary target of their investigation. I can't blame him for cooperating. It's not like he would be protecting a fine example for the youth in our sport.

5. Chabrone

Chabrone Senior Refuge Member

What happened now?

6. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

B-Cubed, I know you put a lot of effort into your response, but I think BBW's question was more rhetorical in nature than an actual question he was truly seeking an answer to...

7. tripleb

Nothing new. Just a question as to why one offender gets more lenient treatment and little "bad press" for his offenses than another, I presume.

8. tripleb

Thanks DeWayne. I understand .... though I presume you are referring to Goosenazi's post, rather than BBW's reply, which pretty well sums up the effects.

But, many people on this forum and the general forum have raised the same questions. There are a lot of people who don't know how the feds work and how what would appear to most to be relatively minor offenses .... and are treated as such in state courts .... are viewed and treated very differently at the federal level. And, why people, committing the same sort of offenses might receive different treatment from the feds. The feds seem to think there's a difference between offenders which justifies differing treatment. My post was primarily in anticipation of those questions, even though they may not be posted, rather than a specific reply to Goosenazi's post.

9. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

My bad...I did mean goozenazi's original question.

10. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Does the answer have anything to do with the number of bands on the pinchor/pinchee's lanyard?