What's up with Parker bows?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by samson, Jul 15, 2005.

1. samson

samson Refuge Member

I'm not a shopper - I usually decide what I want and get in and out of the stores (even Cabelas or Basspro) as fast as I can. When I went to Basspro last year to get my first bow, they had a sale on Parker Phoenix 34 and the honest-seeming guy told me it was the best bow/deal they had. I tried it, liked it, and bought it.

How come you all shoot PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, Golden Eagle, Browning, and Martin...and nobody else has a Parker? Did I miss the article about the three guys who've lost their left arms or something?

2. Big Brass

Big Brass Elite Refuge Member

There are more guys shooting Parker's than you think. I have not shot one yet but I know of several guys on other bowhunting forums who shoot them and love them. I'll probably be looking for a new bow at the end of this year/beginning of next year and I will try a Parker before I decide. There are a lot of manufacturers making very nice bows. The big companies like the ones you listed just do MUCH more advertising. Some of the others I will be checking out are Pearson/McPherson and Forge. I haven't heard any complaints about Parker bows. It sounds like you are happy with the one you bought so enjoy it. I think too much hype is put into brand name recognition when in reality there is very little difference in quality and performance in today's bows.

3. samson

samson Refuge Member

I should have mentioned that I am very happy with it (but only have a friend's recurve to compare it too!)...I am not a great shooter, but OK - all arrows withing 3-4# of bull's eye at 30 yards - and I'm confident that my style could use more improvement than my bow. The bow seems super-solid, nice let-off, I've got it set at about 55-60 lbs and can hold it for over a minute pretty easily. Sometimes I see the arrows corkscrewing in the air, but again am guessing that's me, not the bow.

4. Big Brass

Big Brass Elite Refuge Member

I'd mark the corkscrewing arrows with a sharpy marker. Then you can check to see if it is just those individual arrows that may be off. If all of them are off, it could be a form problem but most likely it is your setup that needs tuning. If you are corkscrewing you have a problem with fishtailing and porposing and will need to adjust both your nock and arrow rest to correct it. Some paper tuning at close range should tell you. Enjoy that new bow. :tu

BTW, 3-4" groups at 30 yards ain't too shabby. Keep at it and you'll get them tighter.

5. Batman74

Batman74 Moderator Moderator

There are plenty of Parker shooters out there. I shoot a Phoenix 34 myself, left handed version, and I love it. I had a Parker Hunter Mag II before this bow. It is a quality at a great price. Besides, they are made right here in Virginia. :yes :tu

6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

He's on the money here. It clearly sounds like all you need to do some fine tuning.

I don't have a compound bow, but I've looked at the Parkers and the Phoenix would be top on my list. They're sweet shooters.

7. nitro27

nitro27 Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a parker and I have no complaints. I did have the corkscrewing arrow problem but I got it all worked out.

Shoot well

Ryan S.

8. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

After shooting a wide range of manufacturers bows at a pro shop I had it narrowed down to the phoenix 34 and the mathews switchback. I thought it shot very well but I decided on the switchback-Im going back on wednesday to buy it. You have a good bow.

9. boone nc

boone nc Senior Refuge Member

The guy that runs the bow shop around my neck of the woods sales parker and mathews. He said that parker just does not do near the advertising that the other companies do. He also said that if he lets some body shoot them both 8 out of ten times they will choose the parker over the mathews. Just food for thought. good luck

10. samson

samson Refuge Member

I shot a Matthews with a friend of mine a week back - very nice bow - but no nicer than the Parker Phoenix 34....both great.

Turns out the only arrows that were corkscrewing from my bow were two that I marked and appear ever so slightly bent. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm shakin with anticipation for the upcoming season.