What's you favourite Grouse Recipe??

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Jeffer, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

I guess my all time favourite way to have Grouse is cut into strips, dipped in flour and pepper and fried with bacon. If I say in a cast iron frying pan cooked on a wood stove, does that make it seem more fancy? Hehe.
    My other favourite way is B-qued over an open fire when the air is crisp at your back with the dog laying next to you. Of course you have to share you supper with him. That's the law!! Hehe. Everything just seems to taste fantastic if cooked in the right setting. It makes even me into a good cook. A friend of mine told me once that you couldn't buy a meal like that in the fanciest most expensive restaurant in the city.

"walk'n like a moose"
    Jeffer

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

You've got it, Jeffer! Strange, isn't it, how that open fire does wonders for any food.
    Now when you get to Cook Stoves and Black Iron Skillets you're talkin' some REAL cookin'. And your friend is totally right...not even the "so called" finest eating establishments in the world can compare to common food done in or on a cook stove!
    Uh, could ya throw a batch of Cats Head Biscuits in that stove fer me? I'll be right up!!!

3. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

Cats head biscuits. Hu?
    I'm scared to ask. Hehe.

"walk'n like a moose"
    Jeffer

P.S. Yup that's me in the photo on the other post. I am blessed with a little piece of heaven up here.
    If your ever up this way you'll have to drop in for a hunt.

4. Canaduck

Canaduck Elite Refuge Member

I have two favs for Sharpies and Huns!

1. is simply roasted in mushroom soup mix with large chunks of fresh mushrooms!

2. roasted in a homemade sweet and sour sauce that is absolutely amazing!

This reminds me, I have a Ziploc bag of sharpies in the freezer!

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Here ya go. Flet grouse breast and split each half once again so they are real thin (1/2 inch or so) dredge in Krusteaz coating mix, sprinkel with cayene and fry in olive oil in a cast iron skillet. It cooks fast so don't overdo it... enjoy.

6. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

We eat a lot of blue grouse during the archery season cooked over an open fire. That's gotta be my favorite method of preparing them. I think the surroundings do a lot to help with the meal. I can't wait for September!!!

7. High Velocity

High Velocity Senior Refuge Member

Grouse cubed and fried in mixture of flour with cajun,garlic powder and pepper. Boil 1/2 pound of wild rice and add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, waterchestnuts, sauteed onions and mushrooms. Put it all in a pan and put in 300 degree oven until warmed throughout. TASTY!!!!

8. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

My mother used to make baked beans with R-grouse breasts thrown in...don't ask me the specifics but it was YUMMY!!

9. arctic hunter

arctic hunter Elite Refuge Member

1. soak in itlian dressing for one day, wrap in bacon, and grill.

2. add cream of mushroom soup, and grouse breast into a crockpot and cook all day.

3. any way over an open fire.