What's your preferred 270WSM round?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by NCWaterfowler, Nov 15, 2014.

1. NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

I've been using Winshesters 150 PP in my 270WSM ABolt. Have had pretty good overall performance. I am usually shooting Whitetail deer up to 150 yards, but often even closer. There is also an occasional opportunity to take a black bear at 100-150 yards, but my primary target is whitetail. I'm wondering what others have had success using in this caliber and might recommend as a universal round for this type of hunting.

2. jamesd1187

jamesd1187 New Member

Do you hand load? If so the 160 grain Nosler partition or woodliegh 180 grain may be worth considering. I've loaded these for friends in their .270 wcf's for hunting black bear over baits, close range requires a tough heavy bullet to get consistent exits. But for on game performance its hard to say no to the 150 grain bullets for all around use. Although my personal favorites are 130-140 grain partitions and that is what I load in mine duplicating Jack O'Connor's famous load.

3. HEWHOHUNTS

HEWHOHUNTS Senior Refuge Member

I just started hunting with the WSM this season, didn't score on a animal but tried a couple factory loads. Mine is a Rem Mod 7 and it loved the old green box Rem 130gr CL. Sighted in with those and made adjustments while using Win supream 140 gr Nos Accubonds, they shot well but not as good as the 130 gr. Picked up 3 boxes of Win 150 gr PP at a bargain price if nothing else just for the brass to reload. Have all the dies just need to get some bullets and develop a load. An outfitter I know sold his 7mag and uses his 270 WSM on everything now with 140gr dropping elk with 1 shot kills. If you reload you already know that you can pretty much duplicate 270 WBY mag velocity out of a short action lighter rifle.

4. nobrownducks

nobrownducks Senior Refuge Member

Try the Nosler 140 grain Accubond. They have performed very well on the last 4 deer I have shot. Would prefer 150 Partition but Nosler replaced it with the 140 Accubond. Talked to the shop and they said ballistics were very similar.

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I have a 7MM I dont think there is such a thing as a universal round
    I hand load. 120 Nosler ballistic tips for antelope and coyotes, 140 Nosler partition for deer, 160 Nosler partition for elk and bear and my daughter shot out of the box 175 Winchesters on her moose,..
    If I could only pick one it would be160 Nosler partition because I want something bigger for bear and elk,.. and for back-up in grizzly country

I originally shot the 4 different sises of ballistic tipsall 4 held in the same 1 inch group at 100 yards. the partitions will shoot in 1 1/2 inch group. the lighter bullets float up and left

well Ill shoot anything at a coyote:sp

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. Mountain Duck

Mountain Duck Elite Refuge Member

I have a Model 70 Featherweight in 270 WSM. I shoot a handload consisting of a 130 grain Accubond over 63 grains of IMR 4350. Been a great load for Virginia whitetails for me.

7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Have a rem 700 sps in 270wsm that loves 65.5 grns Roloader 19 w 130 gr. Nos. ballistic tips. Only shooting whitetails but have taken them from 25yds. to 250 yds. with this load.

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

If you do some looking around, you'll find that a 150 gr ballistic tip in .277, is a pretty tough bullet, for a tipped CC. In the 7/284, the 120 grain NBT has a very thick jacket, compared to other light for caliber BTs. Folks kill plenty of Elk with them fro 7-08s, 7x57s, 280s, and even 7 mags. They're actually tougher than the 140s, and some say even the 150s. I'm not up on if or which .277 NBTs at lighter weights have been beefed up, like the 120/284. If the 110 has been, it'll be a nice bullet. Partitions a great bullets, too. I'm not a big copper solid fan, simply because I like the expansion and velocity ranges of lead core bullets, and don't need to retain weight through a grizzly bear, at the expense of expansion or blood trails.