What's your preferred dove load?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Creek Henry, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

What ever Walmart has on sale.
    Its doves...................not rocket science.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

1 oz of 8's through a mod choked 16ga Remington Model 58.

3. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

Those are sweet guns, aren't they? I have one in 12. Never had a gun fit me that well. What's your's choked to?

Used mine all last year, except for ducks.

4. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

Has anyone noticed a big difference in performance between #7.5 and #8? I gave up on trying to get #9 to work (no range and very effected by wind) and #6 don't pattern dense enough, imo... not in 1oz anyway.

The pellet count for 1 1/8oz #7.5 is the same as 1oz #8 so if recoil is about the same, I guess it is all about getting the cheaper shell. But, hey, we always look for ways to get more birds in the bag with fewer shots!

5. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

I prefer the 1 1/8 of #8's, just a good dense pattern. When I hunted white wings in TX, #6's worked well for me.

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Modified.

Last 16ga remington to be built on a scaled frame.

I use mine on ducks on occasion as well.

I'll use 6's late in the season. We have a late dove season that overlaps rabbit and quail. I'll carry 6's to cover all my bases though they are really too big for quail.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

For the 12 ga., I generally prefer a 1 1/8th oz load of #7 1/2's... #6's if it is longer shooting (I get a nice dense pattern in a full choke).

Usually I play around with my Browning O/U 20 ga. a bit, but this season it was the only gun I used. We were shooting a few Euro's and pigeons as well. A 7/8 oz load of #7 1/2's is a good load, with 1 oz of #6's in the top barrel for longer shots or to help out with a Euro or Pigeon... I shot the gun so well, I am considering taking it duck hunting this season.

I get pretty good patterns with #6's in the 20 ga., and for valley quail a 1 oz load of #6's is my standard load. I have a lot less cripples and lost birds with this load (as cripples are frequently unrecoverable in the terrain I hunt for quail).

The Euro's in our area are a tough bird... Not quite as tough as a pigeon, but a lot tougher than a mourning dove:

[​IMG]

8. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

I'll probably go mod/full also on Euros also when they start getting more common. I"ve seen a few around here, but not many. They are big for doves.

I want to get in to feed-lot pidgeon hunting but I didn't garner any interest from the feelers I put on (to ranchers in the area). #6 shot would probably be best for those flying hogs :)

9. skeetshooter105

skeetshooter105 Refuge Member

I use 1/2oz. # 8 1/2 shot in the 2 1/2" .410 for doves here in Kentucky... Shoot a Winchester Model 42, 28" bbl. with mod choke.

10. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I've been shooting 1 oz of 7.5 shot out of my 12 gauge. Chokes are Cyl and IC in my o/u.