Whats your rig?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by cjhack, Jul 21, 2010.

1. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Rem 700 vs 22-250 , leupold 6-18, harris bypod,spitt'n 52 gr.hornady bthp. in front of 41 grains of h380.;)

2. Cormorant

Cormorant Senior Refuge Member

just broke out my varmint gun actually, so i figured i'd grab a picture for ya.

[​IMG]

remington vtr r-15 .223 with 22" free-float barrel. shoots v-max 55gr HP
    also CAA bipod with leupold mkIV scope sitting on a 1" riser and a trigger job.

kills 'em dead.

usually wears a ghillie wrap when i'm hunting, which you can see here, kind of.

[​IMG]
    the two 'yotes were shot at around 185-200 yards. cat was shot with a shotgun the same day at ~10 yards

3. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Thats a good looking rig! what kind of groups are you getting with it?

4. Cormorant

that gun shoots quite well. with last time i shot at distance, i kept a 20rd magazine all within a group the size of a CD at ~350yards with a benchrest and match ammo

i've also got a .22LR conversion kit for the gun with a X2 red-dot sight. i think i can keep that same CD sized grouping out to 100 yards with cheapo ammo.

5. MACHINE

MACHINE Elite Refuge Member

Rem 700 VSSF that has been blueprinted , , Tubb system , 6.5 X 20 Leupold . Jewell trigger.

shoot 52 Gr match kings on top of Varget .

2 longest shots on dirt dogs were 612 and 578 yards

will shoot .300 or LESS

when the barrell wears out I will install a Shillen or Schnider or Bartlien Barrell on it then

6. MACHINE

MACHINE Elite Refuge Member

try ya some Varget

man that stuff is CLEAN

7. Scarchest

Scarchest Banned

Savage 12FVSS 22-250
    HS Precision (Devcon Steelbed)
    Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 x 50
    Hornady 55 gr. V-Max

[​IMG]

8. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Cormorant,

What kind of groups can you get with which ammo with that rifle?

9. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

That scope looks mighty high, why did you use those rings with a riser---did you need that much clearance?

Also, what kinda trigger job?

I have a Bill Springfield in my latest project and my....it feels sweet but, haven't got it to the benchrest yet. Also, with an Armalight scope mount (raised rings) it still feels like too low a mount so, I may have to get a riser and different rings just so my cheek weld remains consistent.

10. Cormorant

sorry i been out of the loop for a couple days guys, but to answer your questions, the results i talk about are with hornaday's varmint express 55gr v-max bullets. been tinkering around a bit with 60gr shells but i think it likes the 55 best.

trigger job was just a spring kit i ordered from brownells, breaks right at 4lbs

the scope sits on that riser because for some reason the relief point on that scope is extremely close to the back lens, and actually restricted me from getting my head comfortable that close to the stock. without the riser, the stock of the gun actually bucked me in the cheek a few times.

also i like the risers because i use 3 different scopes on that gun. i've got a fixed 4x scope for when i'm hunting in the woods and dont need/want a scope which requires all sorts of adjustments to get into focus on the fly cause the shots are usually quick and short range anyways. i also have a 2x red-dot i like to use for early morning when we can typically call in a large group of coyotes fairly close and take multiple dogs quickly. all of the scopes have their own riser that i have mounted comfortably for me, and it's easy as hell to switch those out compared to scope rings. plus, when switching out the risers like that, they mount consistently, and the gun stays sighted in for all three scopes without too much adjusting