Whats your rig?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by cjhack, Jul 21, 2010.

1. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

No comb on AR stocks does present a problem.

I like my optics a touch further foward so as not to interfer with the charging handle.

Cheek weld is the issue and on my dog running gun (16" w/ collapsible stock) I am fine. With the latest flat top set up, I am still having issues and there are no front sights to even get in the way.

Oh well....at least you figured out what works for you, it just looks awful high to look over the top of the scope on running critters.

2. Cormorant

Cormorant Senior Refuge Member

you know, ive never really noticed how high it is. it does look awkward. the rings were actually the last thing i added to the gun. i didnt really buy them based on height, but because of a good review from a guy at the range. i think i'm gunna play around with some different configurations tomorrow and see if anything else works.

do you know if theres any way to adjust the relief point on a scope?

3. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

The only way to do it is with the scope, moving it back or forward depending on your cheek weld. Rifle scopes have a certain range of eye relief and pistol scopes have longer eye relief so, thats what you have to deal with.

For most of my rifles, I mount the scope so that when I shoulder the gun with my eyes closed, then open them, the eye relief is correct. It also enables me to raise my head ever so slightly to look over the scope to swing with moving targets and then drop into the scope and flip the bang switch.

Some guys try and find targets in the scope and as far as I am concerned, that is the slow way to go and really lousy on moving game.

Now back to your situation----AR's and other similiarly stocked rifles with no comb present problems all their own and often necessitate a higher mount. And, like you said, getting the proper eye relief can be tricky at times but, maybe doable if you move the scope forward by the rear of the charging handle.

The only thing that you can do is play around with yours and determine what works best for you.

Good luck.

4. Mic

Mic Refuge Member

Ruger M77 Predator in 22-250 that just loves cheap Rem. 50 grs.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

I have several. They all have their place. .223/12 Savage with a 2x7 Nikon, .223 Stevens 200 with a 3x9 Leupold, 22-250 Rem 700 with a 4x12 Leupold, and a .243 Stevens 200 with a 4x12 Leupold.

6. batcave4

batcave4 Elite Refuge Member

Ruger 77 Heavy Barrel in 223, Harris Bipod, 4x12 Leupold.

7. CutEmAll-Boyz

CutEmAll-Boyz Senior Refuge Member

Ruger #1 in 22-250 with a Swift 6-18X50

8. carlschmarl2

carlschmarl2 Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG]

9. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Did a trigger job on it myself, finally got it shooting well, the new leupold helped with that as well.
    [​IMG]

10. Tuhlmann

Tuhlmann Elite Refuge Member

I'm guessing he's not chucking any of your wood anymore.:dv