When brave and competent leadership took scared and exhausted men and saved the Union.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Saved the Union and created the Empire.

The_Duck_Master, Bear and ALMODUX like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

And forever may she stand. :pra:tu

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  4. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

Chamberlain was certainly a hero that day but I've never understood why Custer isn't celebrated in the same way for his 'Union saving' cavalry action the following day, narrowly preventing JEB Stuart from getting behind union lines prior to Pickett's charge. I suppose his legacy is simply too tarnished by Bighorn.

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I started to mention Custer also. An equally magnificent example of leadership. However, I concur, he lost his command which stained him forever even though he was considered a hero until recently.

6. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

He was no hero to the people of ND, in fact he was a curse. Leaders of the state have suffered from Custer Syndrome since! He said as he left to chase the Indians, don't do anything until I get back. Well some listened!!! LOL!!

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Custer's megalomaniac ego finally caught up with him at Little Big Horn. The recent forensic analysis of the battle site revealed the total breakdown of his command once his men realized (too late) what his true motives had gotten them into.

He was taken (alive) off the knoll and given to survivors of the Washita Massacre who stripped him naked and was skinned alive for several hours before he finally arrived at his front row seat in He!!.

8. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Jp cut to his thigh,arrow in his penis fingertip cut off. Only mutilation of his body. The arrow was not disclosed until Libby death.

Others where severely mutilated but they all wore uniforms. The dead wearing buckskins where hardly mutilated in comparison. This is the reason most feel he was spared excessive post death attacks.

9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

JP...I've never read about a total breakdown in command. I saw a program that tracked a forensic exam of the battlefield that was able to track individual Native and US movements by the spent cartridges that suggested the "Last Stand" was not quite the "stand" so much as over in minutes, with a lot more dropped US cartridges than spent if I remember it correctly. It did suggest that one group (main group?) crossed the river to capture the women, as that would effectively end the battle, then for some reason re-crossed and wound up out on the exposed ridge while the Natives were in the gullies and could move and close distance in a protected manner and then pop up and shoot.

I think at the point they figured out exactly what was going on, it didn't become command so much as survival...which I guess is a breakdown of sorts.

I don't know why Custer wasn't more of a hero to the Civil War folks, except that for all his heroics he was still let go after the war...it's been a while since I read anything on Custer, but even that seems subject to a lot of opinion and bias.

I've also seen suggestions that when Custer was recalled, it was not to oversee the Native populations and encourage peace but to stir up exactly the fight he got at the Little Bighorn...that his superiors knew it would happen and sent him just for that reason. I don't think they expected him to be massacred, but it served them just as well...a martyr is useful in getting public opinion to turn against the "savages"...

Planning on visiting that battlefield in the next year or so...

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  10. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

Interesting thought there. Believable.

The movie We Were Soldiers has always bugged me with regard to Custer. In this otherwise good movie, Sam Elliott emphatically utters the line "Custer was a p***y". Custer might have been different things to different people but it's hard to think anyone believes he deserves that epitaph.