when is too close too close.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by jeffD4L, May 23, 2007.

1. jeffD4L

jeffD4L Senior Refuge Member

i was watch some of my hunting videos today and stumbled across a bonus footage clip for TV show chasing' the flight and in this clip they show one of the guys.blast a duck at what looks like 2ft. this is not the only time i have seen this. there is also the infamies speck scene in Runnin Traffic. and practically every hunting video i have shows some one mutilating a bird to the point that it cannot be eaten. my question is when/why has this become acceptable. what in your experience is to close. i was taught that there is such a thing as to close, and not to take that shot. I'm not talking ethics I'm taking common sense.

2. fatlab

fatlab Elite Refuge Member

I think common sense goes out the window sometimes with videos. Lots of stuff happens in videos that wouldn't happen other wise.

3. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Five yards in front of you on the deck was the closest I have ever had and I took a head shot and saved the meat from being tenderized with BBB.

4. Joel Draxler

Joel Draxler Elite Refuge Member

I would say it depends on what you are shooting, both animal and choke/shot combo as well as shot placement. When I shot a patternmaster/#2 I shot a duck at about 10-12 yards and literally blew the head right off. If that had been a body shot the duck would have been garbage. I now shoot a Briley Light modified with #4 for duck and #2 for geese. I would take that same shot, body or head, and the bird would still be edible. One more reason to know your gun/load and shoot responsibly.

5. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

You shoot them too high and guys call you a skybuster. You shoot them too close and guys call you a mutilator......pick a lane brother. Go get yourself a camera capable of shooting tv/resale video quality, a camera man to run it, and a production studio to put it all together and show us what you come up. It isn't as easy as you think.............

6. PGA2B

PGA2B Elite Refuge Member

I think you can take your time and let it get far enough not to mutilate it......15 yards is close enough...if you have a flock and some are closer, start taking the birds at 15-20 yards out......finish up on the ones that were 5 when they are 20....if it's a single or a double and you shoot that close, you're going for the shock value and disrespecting our sport....my .02

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I agree with PGA2B let it get out far enough that it doesn't explode. I have destroyed a few birds and it always makes me feel bad like I'm wasting food. If these guys are pro's they should be held to a higher standard and show common sense and ethics.

8. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

Unless its gonaa be blown to smitherines, I take em!

9. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

I don't think the guy was talking just shooting in general, he was talking what he has seen in videos.. When the camera guy has a a bird or birds centered in his view finder, and you are 6 hours from home and have been trying to get footage for 2 days, you don't let birds in pure grinding range, "get out there".

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I don't think the money shot is as important as showing respect for the game you are hunting, but I guess greed makes you do stupid things.