when is too close too close.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by jeffD4L, May 23, 2007.

1. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

No one has said it isn't an environmental hazard. I never once said you couldn't group the reason under the umbrella of environmental hazard.

It is also obviously apparent now that you have no clue other then the MN blanket of its for the environment, its for the environment.

It has always been bad for the environment and it has been known for years hence the banning of lead based paint. HOWEVER the final straw that pushed for the banning of it was Bald Eagles. It is documented and YOU might be able to actually find it but it is out there. The banning was finally passed all because a side effect of lead is that the shells of the Eggs were so fragile that they couldn't even hold the weight of the mother bird sitting on them.

So yes you could say it was an environmental hazard but it is a shame that you didn't know the actual facts and data of the arguement.

2. bullcan15

bullcan15 Senior Refuge Member

I believe that DDT was the reason that the eggs were brittle.

3. Waterproof

There are many reports on the subject of lead poisoning causing it also. Not saying that it is the only reason for the brittle egg shells but it is documented on the USFWS website about the reason for the push for banning lead.

4. mngoosehunter

mngoosehunter Banned

That was DDT. Just google it.

You see it was a collective effort by many people. I thought you were going to us the one the California Condor people had. Lead was found in like 90% of dead California condors. This will I believe also lead to the banning of lead bullets in rifles in that state.

If you have any link explaining how lead thinned egg shells please PM them to me or post them up. I am a licensed falconer and could give a presentation at the annual NAFA meet on this lead and the thinning of egg shells as many experts in birds of prey have never mentioned this to me. I helped Bob Anderson currently with Excel energy in MN be the first person to captive breed peregrine falcons in captivity due to DDT in egg shells.

MNGH

5. Waterproof

It can be found on the USFWS site.

6. mngoosehunter

mngoosehunter Banned

I looked and could only find articles relating to lead poisoning. I may have missed something. Help me out and post the link or article:tu

MNGH

7. Waterproof

I can look into it. I know I read it there several years ago. It may be archived but I will see what I can find again.

8. BoWhoop

BoWhoop Senior Refuge Member

I thought that the ban had more to do with the thousands of dead birds that washed up on the shores of Catahoula...

9. Waterproof

Just posted up what I read on the USFWS website BoWhoop. That was there words not mine.

10. mngoosehunter

mngoosehunter Banned

It actually came down to many people and many problems with one common denominator undeniable "hazard to the environment".

Waterproof I am not trying to be sarcastic and really would like to read the lead and egg shell thinning. I have come up with nothing.

MNGH