when is too close too close.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by jeffD4L, May 23, 2007.

1. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I believe you MN and didn't think you were trying to be sarchastic either. I did a quick search on the USFWS site already and couldn't find it so I will have to look more in depth and if I can't find it on search I don't know how I will find it there.

2. HONKERS41

HONKERS41 Elite Refuge Member

I shoot at them 20 yards and over....too many bad things can happen at closer range...specially when a dog is involved in the hunt....Honkers41!!

3. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Thats a good point ...the dog.. never thought about that.:)

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

The point I made early on in this thread is to pick out a bird that is a liitle further out and not take the easy, close in, "kill shot" and you are more likely to double or triple and the birds will be hit by fewer pellets of an opened up, yet still lethal pattern.
    My preferance is good quality birds for the table and not just dead birds.
    After you do this for a while it becomes pretty automatic - you see that further bird that you know is a shot you can make and you kill the second bird at the same range as the first.

5. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I remember that DDT was said to have adversely affected egg shell thickness. The only thing I can remember as an effect of ingestion of lead, other than the actual potential poisoning effect itself, was that lead intake was said to reduce the birds' resistance to disease. But, I would appreciate any more detailed information on the subject than my brain has retained.:l

I have always felt that the poor performance of steel shot loads, at least in the early stages of it's use, had a greater adverse impact on waterfowl than did lead ingestion ........ at least in the short term. I suppose, though, that in the long term ....... the deleterious effects of continued lead deposition may have proven to be much worse, and virtually irreversible.

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

yer full of baloney Muntz.:sp :sp :sp

7. jkryspin

jkryspin Elite Refuge Member

8. mngoosehunter

mngoosehunter Banned

Jkryspin thanks for the info. Just as I thought lead poisoning not egg shell thickness. I had a hawk of mine die from lead poisoning which is acute reaction. Maybe I missed something but I did not read anything about eggs at all, did I miss it?

Thanks again

9. hunter

hunter Elite Refuge Member

I agree...If that wasn't a attempt to take pressure off of foiles I dont know what was:l

10. jeffD4L

jeffD4L Senior Refuge Member

sounds like PETA double talk.:l