When Men were Men

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Sep 12, 2018.

1. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

Back when men were men
    deer.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2018
  2. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Yep. And every boy had a pocket knife. At rural schools it wasn't unusual for a kid to hunt on his way to or from school, leaving his gun in the coat room during the school day.

JP, Fowler267, duckbuster2 and 3 others like this.
  3. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

Exactly what I did in HS and College..late 70's/Early 80's

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yep, gun locked up in my vehicle or in the principals office because he knew I was a duck hunter and went with me a time or 2. If I missed a day of school during bad weather he would always ask me how sick I was in a rating of 1 to 4. The limit on ducks was 4 at the time. :l

BFG, JP, Irishwhistler and 18 others like this.
  5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Imagine the national headlines if that happened today. :doh

I bet all the kids would behave themselves on the way to school though. :l

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Great post, great times, great place in the country. see hunting a deer before your bust run simply made sense. Roping it to the hood did too. Thats what America was built on...Common Sense. Things that gave us practical benefit. Now everything has to have 5 more angles than the one that makes the most sense.
    I look back at my childhood and remember riding with my friends the late 60's with BB guns and a one kid with a .22 , carried across our cool Sting Ray bicycle's handlebars, or the second kid holding it while riding on the Banana Seat, all a Band of Brothers going to Devil's Creek to plink, hunt squirrels and turtles. Turtles if the old guy with the German Shepherds that would always chase us, was away. Long Island, NewYork Suburb of all places.....go figure.:tu
    When we were younger, Sometimes we would play Army on the front lawns of our different houses. We would throw "dirt bombs" ( dirt clods that were so dry the would " smoke" when they hit the asphalt. Joey could be coaxed to go get the real gun off his family's fireplace. He'd run in, grab it and shoot us defending his house. He'd **** the flint lock back on that old muzzle loader that his ancestors fought the British in the Revolutionary War with and shoot us as we ran by with BAR's and Sargent Rock comic book machine guns . Then he'd run back in quick before any of the mothers saw, or his mother came in, and put it back to it's place on the hearth..... Boys will be Boys.....Go figure

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    JP, Irishwhistler, Fowler267 and 5 others like this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

They’d need therapy animals.

BFG, JP, Irishwhistler and 4 others like this.
  8. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

The driver would be locked up for child endangerment and the kids would be subjected to weeks of therapy because of the trauma of the event. Snowflakes!!!:mad::mad::mad:

lugnut, WHUP ! Hen and widgeon like this.
  9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I went to a small country school and had a gun in the truck and a knife in my pocket nearly every day of school, graduated in '97. Wasn't really supposed to have knives but nobody cared. All that changed pretty quickly after that, within a few years meth rolled into town and they started cracking down on stuff. Now they'd flip over such things.

JP, coachcornbread and widgeon like this.
  10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

It's gotten so bad in the county I live in with all the Sophistomocated City folk moving out this way they have called the Sheriffs office and complained about people that hang deer in their yards.
    Welcome to the NEW Millennium

JP, Lovetogun, WHUP ! Hen and 2 others like this.