When to call for the snow covers

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by calstefanko, Dec 7, 2017.

1. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Expecting 1-3 inches of snow Saturday and hunting a field with around 1000 honkers in it, 3/6 in the group have snow covers so we want to try and get away with not using them, is this possible? We will be setting out 15-25 doz decoys so take that into factor

2. calstefanko

Hunting that field on Sunday not saturday

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

With that little snow, bring some rakes. Rake out a bunch of open spots. I always do this hunting a sod or hay field, and work my decoys in and around the open spots. Works like a jerk string, birds can see the holes a LONG way aways.
    Now your non-covered blinds, in the holes, will not stand out so much. Put the covered ones on the snow.
    For the non-covered ones, cans of fake snow will break up the outline. It comes right off when you wash or brush off your blinds.
    Now, as per usual, put some decoys around your blinds, and go kill geese.

DrakeStar and calstefanko like this.
  4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

1"- no problem not using them. 3"- could be an issue especially if the wind drifts the snow in(if you're in corn stubble). Otherwise, like native said, tear the field up some with rakes and your feet. Spot spray your blinds with fake snow if available.

calstefanko likes this.
  5. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Snow makes hiding so much harder...even with snow covers. I've never had a hunt with snow covers or snow spray that some of the birds didn't bust us. Sure I've shot limits but some birds always see you. If you get an inch of snow and the wind makes it patchy in the field spray snow is the best way to go. If you get a solid blanket of snow in the field then the snow covers are the best way. If you get a solid blanket of snow I would use the snow covers on the blinds you have covers for and heavily spray snow the rest. It's best to spray the blinds the night before in a warm garage or house then touch up in the field. Or you can rake up some areas like NV ducker suggested then hide the blinds without covers in there, but you'll still want to put some spray snow on them.

Also, don't buy the avery spray snow. It's way too expensive. Go to Menards and buy Christmas tree flocking. It's the same stuff. You'll also want to periodically touch up the blinds during the hunt because the spray snow falls off.

I also wouldn't set up your blinds in the decoys. You should cross shoot if you can. It will take the birds eyes off your blinds. Depending on the wind direction set up with the sun at your back. If that's not a possibility make sure you set up so you're taking crossing shots from right to left since that's the easiest way for a right handed shooter to swing. I'd also put 15 yards between your boot bags and the closest decoys. You'll have friends that will want to put them closer but if the geese are pressured that will backfire. It's a constant struggle for people who think you should be in the decoys to have them grasp that concept. If you can call, the geese center up on that calling the vast majority of time and they'll be in range when they finish.

calstefanko likes this.
  6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I think you're over thinking it. We routinely kill birds here out of Aframes in the middle of fields. With 25 DOZEN decoys, and birds using that field, you should be fine.

Maybe buy some cheap bed linens to white up the blinds.

huntaholic21 and calstefanko like this.
  7. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I am wondering why if you are on the X why even 15 dozen decoys would be needed?

Follow some of the advice given here.

Wareagle1 likes this.
  8. calstefanko

Hiding 8 guys wanna be on the safe side

9. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Do not buy cheap bed linens. That will guarantee that you shoot absolutely nothing. I've tried it multiple times when I was younger and everyone I've known has tried it and it doesn't work. The spray snow is a much better option.

Spencer5100 and calstefanko like this.
  10. calstefanko

That's what I was worried about I was thinking about having them use bed sheets but knew that somehow it wouldn't work. Thanks