Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Where are the snow geese?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joecitrano, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

The Cast and Blast has been replaced by the Wine tasting and Blast. I can hear it now " For dinner tonight we have a Snow Goose Foie Gras served with a Snow Goose Confit paired with a nice Pinot Noir" Also here is your free pass for a snow goose shoot tomorrow morning.:l

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

3. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0707.JPG IMG_0707.JPG Is it possible to tell if these are graeters or lessers in in the picture. They seem pretty big.

4. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

woodsie, I'm by no means a snow goose expert, but I thought I read that blue phase snow geese are very common with lessers, and very uncommon for greaters. Judging by the amount of blue geese you have, Id say lessers based upon what I read.....or, you got lucky on a flock of greaters.

Someone with more knowledge would be better for advise

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I had always heard the same thing as Scotty that those birds near Cambridge and in Blackwater are lessers. I know that when I have glassed them in the past there has been a fair number of blue phase mixed in. The size difference is only a 1lb -2lb on average I believe between lessers and greaters.

6. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

I've heard the same thing as well with the greaters have the way less number of blues in it. Like one in 500. I thought I had a special Freedoms Edge Farm flock.

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Not sure how far you are from BW but snow geese fly from Bombay Hook to Kent county on a regular basis to feed, and ducks and canada geese in BW will roost on the bay proper. They will put some miles on daily.

8. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Woodsie. A lesser has a little bit of a smaller bill supposedly. and usually blues are lessers.
    If you have ever seen the snows in the MS flyway, you quickly notice that the blue goose numbers seem to be a majority. Those geese around BW are lessers, for the most part. I've been told that they are eastern nesting lessers and the population is not real big. We are seeing more and more Blues the last few years where I hunt them.

9. Osprey

Osprey Elite Refuge Member

Woodsie, like others have said those are lessers. We've got a flock that hangs in the area all winter, some days they are all at Blackwater, some days split up, but they work the Neck, Town Pt and Church Creek area pretty regular. Enjoy them while you've got them, they move often. I saw about 500 of them along Dailsville on Sunday morning, over half blues and juveniles in that flock.

I did hear a LOT of snows in the air last night at and just after dark, if that helps. Also first big flock of swans went over while in the deer stand.

Funny thing about the Curse of Dr Jack, as much as he hated snows I don't think I've seen them in his fields since he passed. They always used to load up there during deer season previously...

Scotty likes this.
  10. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

So have the snow geese showed up in numbers yet?