Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

where are they at?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by spring man, Jan 14, 2004.

1. spring man

spring man Senior Refuge Member

I'm itching to pull the trigger, its been 40's and 50's for the last two weeks here in sw iowa. all the snow is out and the ponds are unfreezing as we speak. All thats missing are the white birds that we all love to shoot at. Someones got to have em all because there aren't any around here.

2. Decoyer

Decoyer Senior Refuge Member

They are spread out from Colorado to Missouri and points south. Don't think there has been too much movement back north yet. Give it a couple weeks.

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

The birds don't start moving north till Feb so well have to wait.:(

4. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I've got a couple of friends in central MO that have seen what appears to be a few flocks from the south. It's still a little too early but the weather is sure warm down there!

5. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

What's your hurry there guys. Let us have our whacks at them for the next few weeks then we'll send them your way.

I was in the Missouri Bootheel Monday and tons of geese were pouring north from Arkansas. My experience says they will work north till they hit cold weather then back south to a comfort zone. That is why it can be great one day/slow the next around here.

Saw more geese in the Bootheel last week than I have ever seen in 9 years of hunting there. Many have scattered but that's what scouting is all about!

Good luck in your hunting---they will come.

6. Blake H

Blake H Elite Refuge Member

AHEM AHEM.... I now cast thy warm weather gods on the frozen Tundra!... Bringith thy melt, and let them begin their trek north...

Actually I am in a hurry, waiting for Snows is my favorite and most enjoyable hobby in January!

7. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

ill tell you how the Colorado bunch are looking after this weekend going to try em out:nutz

8. trvlenman

trvlenman New Member

Hey Springman

All I have been seeing around here is canadians. I saw a very small group of snow up near desoto last week but that was it. Seems like this year i hardly saw any snows on their way south. I have been scouting pretty hard cause i cant wait till they come back, my honey do list seems to be getting longer the more i am around home. Keep your eyes out and let it be known if you start seeing them.

9. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

My buddy in Iliff said yesterday about 1:00pm several large flocks of snows moved into the area from the south...they were a mile high riding the wind and headed for the Jumbo. If things don't cool down a bit around here we could be covered up with them shortly.
    Kip

10. spoonbill spanker

spoonbill spanker Senior Refuge Member

don't the birds usually base their migration on the length of day??