Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

where are they at?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by spring man, Jan 14, 2004.

1. nickle ditch

nickle ditch Senior Refuge Member

Hey, i'm not going to be greedy. I'm not done working up north untill the end of March so you guys can have them till then. But come April 1st, i want them up here.

2. TNmallardmasher

TNmallardmasher Elite Refuge Member

I'll tell you where they are at. Cross County Arkansas, city of Hickory Ridge, northwest of Wynne. Hunted here for six years and I have never seen more of 'em.
    Saw something today I never ever have. Got to my pit in a flooded rice field by the Bayou Deview and was screaming around the decoys on the Arctic Cat muddying up the field when movement from my pit caught my eye. Saw a big beautiful snow goose hop OUT from under my pit covers, followed by a big blue-phase snow. I don't think they were wounded 'cause they started to swim/fly/run away. Blasted both with my SBE and now they will be in the freezer tonite. They are both FULL of soybeans. There is a huge gob of goose poop right where my son sits inside of the pit. Strange days indeed.:eek:

3. spring man

spring man Senior Refuge Member

some hunting buddies are working on the new power plant and there are a couple thousand canadas and lots of mallards. They saw three flocks of snows and blues last week coming back north. I hope they get here fast because the dekes are ready to hit water.

4. trvlenman

trvlenman New Member

Hmmmm i just happen to have permission to hunt on a bunch of that land down by the power plant might just have to give it a shot this weekend

5. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well was just looking at the 10 day forcast for south east KS. That area is forecasted to be about 10 degrees warmer then average most every day so if that holds true a few birds may move north.

6. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Some snows are going to move back and forth with the weather and availability of open water. But keep in mind, most of the birds winter 600 - 800 miles farther south than required if their wintering grounds were purely based on open water and access to food. Year after year, you can expect the exodus from their wintering grounds to begin within the first two weeks of February. It's built into their breeding cycle, length of day, and probably to some degree the nighttime temperatures.

Hey Dean, are you going to hunt down here in Southeast Kansas?

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Not sure. I may be down there for the last week of honker hunting. I will be in KC on Tue I think to say hi to the sis then off to NE for some upland hunting.