Where can I find a qualified vet for hip and eyes

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by jcle, Feb 18, 2004.

1. jcle

jcle Refuge Member

I have a 2 year old blm and a 1 year old clf that I am interested in getting the hips and eyes certified on. I am located in Pittsburg, ks does anyone know the nearest place to get this done and the cost?
    thanks
    jeff

2. Huntdogman

Huntdogman Senior Refuge Member

Have you asked your vet? If they dont do it they really should know the nearest place.

3. Swamper

Swamper Refuge Member

Your best bet might be to take your dogs up to Manhatten to K-State. They will do OFA and PennHip at the university.

4. Huntdogman

Huntdogman Senior Refuge Member

Manhattan is an awfully long drive from Pittsburg (4 to 5 hours one way). Id bet you could have it done some where a lot closer. They are nice to deal with though if you want to take the time to drive up their.

5. Swamper

Swamper Refuge Member

I was thinking it was closer than that. I live in Pratt, so that's about the same drive from here to Manhattan. Maybe there would be somewhere in Springfield, MO that could do it? Where do you live huntdogman?

6. Ron Stanfield

Ron Stanfield Refuge Member

Most good vet clinic's can do the OFA exrays and submissions. But the eyes and cerf is a different story. There are only about 4 in Texas. Dr Munger in Dallas, actually hes near lewisville. Is one that people drive for miles and miles to go to. It over 200 miles and thats were we go. Cerfs don;t cost much. About $20. per exam and about that much to send the paperwork off for the cerf.And just for the sake of conversation, A cerf is only good for one year.

Ron

7. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

If you do get your vet to do the OFA's be sure to ask how many OFA's he's/she's done... Make sure the Xray equipment is up to date. If they haven't done many, I'd go somewhere else. Improper positioning of the hips or bad Xray quality could result in a nonpass. A dog I Co own just had his hips Xrayed, TWICE. First time at the regular vets (which resulted in a positioning problem on one side). A second set of Xrays were done on him which turned out just perfect. 2 trips to have Xrays have made for an expensive OFA! If you have to drive a lil ways to get to a qualified vet, make the drive. Trust me!

Kimmie :)

8. Scott43

Scott43 Senior Refuge Member

Just had hips, elbows, and eyes done yesterday in Manhattan. Don't have the prices with me, if your interested I will post them later.

9. Swamper

Swamper Refuge Member

Scott43,

I would be interested in knowing what they charged.

Thanks

10. Julie R

Julie R Elite Refuge Member

jcle,
    don't just have the 1st vet that says they x-ray hips do it! As Kimmie said, it's so important to use a good one with retriever experience, that gets the positioning right for a GOOD picture to send to OFA. Ask around of pro's and breeders in your area who they like. Also at the time you get the hips done you will need to microchip or tattoo your dog so its OFA rating can become a permanent part of its registration.

As far as the CERF exam for the eyes, check on their website or the ACVO site for vets approved to do CERF exams; it lists them by state. There aren't that many that do eyes exclusively, but some vets have a rotating schedule with eye vets that come in once or twice a month, or check around, sometimes dog shows or clubs have "clinics" where you can get the CERF exam done quite reasonably.