Where does it end for this clown?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by callinfowl, Apr 28, 2019.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

upload_2019-4-27_23-38-4.jpeg
    This clown is selling calls that are so ridiculous that it's sickening, what an embarrassment to the true duck call makers out there. This dude is selling calls while Butch is turning in his grave. What a kick in the nuts to a man that did everything to makes calls that sound great and looked great for their simplicity.

Post up the most ridiculous calls JS has come up with.
    upload_2019-4-27_23-47-21.jpeg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

buck_master_2001 and auto5 like this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

That "clown" is living the American dream, while we're peeing away our lives on the Internet. My guess would be that it ends where his market does.

Says a guy who missed out on the half-scroll resale boom because he didn't want that dumb-a--ed duck skull on a call and asked them to leave it off his DC. And, for that matter, is in the habit of calling them "DC"s, instead of "Daisy Cutter"s because he's seen the real deal's work and would rather not associate his duck hunting with that, either. Ain't like I'm going to war with a bird.

(Best I not get started on "Quack Pipe," but it apparently works for them...)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Dan Mallia and OneShotBandit like this.
  3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

He definitely has found a niche that the fans gobble up,doesn't affect my life whatsoever ,wouldn't waste my hard earned money on them,but he sure does sell a bunch of them,between them and his own personal line of calls that a even smaller base gets,he is raking it in.

Live and let live.

4. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    He has a following, and though you my hate it, Mondos kill ducks. They seem to have become the new call, like the D2, that people want cut down more and played with, like Kirk does. So good for J.S., hope he makes more money.

Dan Mallia and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

New call? the mondo was a copy of Jim's old D2 from what I remember.

6. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    What I meant by new is, the latest fad in the call modifying arena. The go to for call modifying seemed to always be the D2 keyhole calls, now I see more and more Mondos being played with.

callinfowl likes this.
  7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Yarch. Just had visions of "filling a pickle barrel with mistakes" learning to cut a Mondo to personal spec. I paid less on the used market for the only DC I've significantly modified than a replacement Mondo insert would cost from the shop - and stopped short of learning how far I could, and perhaps should, go with it because I didn't want to have to spend any more to start over.

8. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

Why do you care? Mans not bringing you down.

Dan Mallia and Jason Kingery like this.
  9. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

I don’t get it either.

It seems a lot of folks on here take personal offense to John’s role in the call industry. In the last few months on here, people and even another call maker have gone out of their way to make sure everyone knows about the evil for profit company that RNT is and that John is a joke of a call maker. Which is fine to feel that way as well. Tis’ Merica afterall.

I personally like some of their calls and don’t give a rip if they make limited runs of fancy graphics... recently bought a Mondo LA along with my cousin with the Callapolooza graphics because they were selling them for $85 in acrylic right off the website. Cheaper than used in classifieds and a brand new call came with several reeds and cork as well.

Even in this thread RNT is just copying other people’s stuff apparently, but company like RM is considered almost godly around here because they didn’t copy nothin... cough jframe cough...JS makes calls by hand too, but he saw a jig once so those don’t count and he sells them out in minutes for too much money ... again just an evil for profit company.

Dan Mallia and Ryan Graves like this.
  10. gansoblanco

gansoblanco Senior Refuge Member

He is not a businessman. He's a business
    , man. From what I"ve seen dude works his *** off and has overcome some major hardships. Don't own any off his calls but I've been to his shop. He has a collection of rings on display that I doubt too many can match. The thing I like and respect John the most for is that he has studied and embraced the history of the craft and artistry of duck call making, and the pioneers that designed the early calls. To my mind John has a clear understanding that duck calls have been made for 150 years and he has a respect for that legacy.

My $.02.

Dan Mallia, ByroB, Rick Hall and 3 others like this.