Where should I even begin

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by jrin99, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jrin99

jrin99 Senior Refuge Member

I need help. I love to waterfowl hunt, but never have really done it on my own. Did a fair deal of it in Texas and California with family and people from the 'Fuge. God decided I should be in Arizona now and I want to get back into the duck/goose hunting game.

My only problem is I have no idea where to even start. I live in Tucson and am willing to travel, but would like to not have to make a huge haul every weekend to hunt.

Do you guys have any helpful tips to lead me. I don't particularly want to run around Arizona blindly hoping for the ducks. I know it will take work and am willing to do the work, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wesley

2. illini36

illini36 Elite Refuge Member

Being someone that has had to move all over the place for school and work, I can tell you two things that have helped me "stay in the game" with each move: 1) Talk to your regional biologist and get familiar with public areas within your new area. http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units.shtml

2) Get involved with the local DU, NWTF, and/or RMEF (whatever you're in to) and start making friends with like minded people. http://www.ducks.org/arizona/events/31643/tucson-chapter-volunteers-wanted

I would not expect to get much valuable information off of a forum such as this (no offense to anyone). Just start networking and doing your homework and you'll be successful. Good luck.

Pat

3. quackadikt

quackadikt Elite Refuge Member

AZGF website has a lot of good information on it. Dig through it, use Google Earth, and get a good state atlas.

Welcome to the SW, where you're going to learn that a 3hr drive is not a "huge haul". You're either going to learn to not mind driving 70-100miles(one way) to hunt, or you're going to take up golf.

4. timbutcher

timbutcher Senior Refuge Member

Tucson has all of stock tanks around,
    Wilcox has some a well,
    White mountains is full of birds
    Flagstaff has some on Mormon lake
    And Anderson Mesa
    Cibola has most of the geese.
    Colorado river is a thousand miles of water

5. jrin99

Thanks for the tips and insights.

I will keep you all posted on my developments.

Enjoy your thanksgiving!

6. jrin99

I went out this last Sat. to the whitewater draw area. Still trying to get my bearings for the place, but it was great to get back into a duck blind. Managed to get one duck.

The duck hunting fire has been relight! Not sure the fiance is happy about this new development, but I sure am. I forgot how much I loved and missed waterfowl hunting.

I'm realizing with the limited time left this season that the remainder of this season and off-season are really going to be spent on scouting and discovering new places. I have a few ideas of different places to check out and am excited about getting the opportunity to learn my area better.

Thanks for all your tips and advice. Definitely going to get involved with the local DU chapter down here in Tucson.

Thanks again and happy hunting!