Where to buy cork mallard dekes?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Batman74, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Here is a little preener buffie I made from a pattern book from Harry Shourds with south Jersey style patterns. It has some decent old school diver patterns in it but some need a little tweaking of the head pattern. Just thought you may be interested since they're similar to the barrows. I'm doing the hoodie pattern now and just fitting the head/neck to the body. I used a scrap piece of wood from a 2x6 for the head because I didn't think the first attempt would be like I wantedand it lost a piece at the bottom so I'm going to shorten the neck a bit and lower the angle of the bill. I will probably end up carving a new head. Live and learn. :l :z 1130162150.jpg 0712160221.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

I use Golden Matte acrylics on stool I make. The material does lend itself to stippling-producing texture with the paint using a dry brush to create peaks and valleys--well, not exactly that, BUT, the paint lends itself well to texturing.

3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I used some of those patterns when I first started. That bufflehead looks awesome and I think the hooded merg looks great!

4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Too many "hunting decoys" sit on a shelf. Make duck hunting great again!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Carved decoys look so much better with "experience marks". Mine sit on shelves in the house during the off season and the scratches, dents and anchor lines are conversation starters. People are surprised and confused when I tell them they are "working" decoys that get hunted.

Winchester 1897 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I’ve tried acrylics when I first started but became disenchanted on how they looked. I have been using a combination of flat marine enamel and artist oils. I find I can get the soft blending infusion better with oils, but that is just me. I have thought of trying the Golden but have been concerned with being able to blend and also durability.

Winchester 1897 likes this.
  7. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

It really depends upon which brand you dealt with. I started out as an MFA candidate, in 1966. At that time, I was making rather large abstract paintings, using oils as my medium of choice. Late in "'67, I switched over to acrylics and liked the immediacy and drying tims. When I started making decoys in 1975 I searched for a matte finish acrylic that would suit the needs of producing a matte finish on the dekes. About three years after using Aquatec, which was my paint of choice when working on canvas, I found Golden Matte and have been hooked ever since. Choice is up to you, though.
    I have found that the medium is extremely durable, and will note that folks who occasionally bring their decoys back for rehab have used them for twenty years or more. Good enough for me!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.