Where to find good dogs

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by jayrod00, Jan 2, 2004.

1. jayrod00

jayrod00 Senior Refuge Member

hi everyone, my friend and i are each looking to buy a dog in the next year, my friend wants a golden lab and i would like a black or chocolate lab. Where is the best place to find a dog with decent blood for not an outrageous price. I am excited about finally getting to train my own duck/goose dog. I have trained coon dogs but the waterfowl dog is going to be something new. So any books or videos you can recommend would be great as well. Any help i can get would be great. Thanks

2. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

jayrod, this websight is a great place to start.
    Keep in mind that the purchase price of a good
    dog is the least expensive part of owning a
    great animal. Put it this way, you answer an
    ad in the paper for a 350$ dog. You have no way
    of knowing how dedicated the breader is to maintaining
    standards of health, intellagence and temperment.
    Isn't spending twice that amount worth it in the long
    run if it means getting an animal from a dedicated breeder?
    So you have to save your pennies for a couple months.
    Don't rush. The breeders who are advertising here
    have quality animals and gaurantee health etc.

Educate yourself, Try Evan Graham's books,
    just click the link above this page on "Smartworks Retriever
    series". Contact a retriever club in your area and attend
    one of their hunt tests to get an idea of what to expect.

Good luck

Bert

3. Goldog

Goldog Senior Refuge Member

jayrod00,
    A couple of things came to mind:
    1. First, to be technically correct, your friend wants either a Golden Retriever or a yellow Labrador Retriever, not a golden lab.
    2. Take your time in deciding out what qualities you desire in a dog, then do tons of research. It would be beneficial for you to hook up with a local retriever club (from both aspects of finding a pup and then training it.) Find a litter with parents that seem to have the qualities that you want, then reach in and grab one.
    Goldog

4. Price-man

Price-man Senior Refuge Member

sent you a PM

5. Sundown49

Sundown49 Elite Refuge Member

jayrod00, since you are in Louisville I will give you some advice. One thing is to get involved with a retriever club before you get a dog. I am a member of Central Kentucky Hunting Retriever Association. We are a HRC club and have several very knowledgeable people that train, hunt and run Hunt Tests with our dogs. To have a TOP NOTCH hunting retriever you have to make a commitment to spend the time involved to make that happen. By joining in on some of the training sessions you can see various levels of dogs and see the time and effort required to get a dog to the level you want. The second thing is as previously stated RESEARCH the information about the breeder you get a pup from and the guarantees the breeder gives you. Hips and elbow and eye clearances on pups Sire & Dam. are a MINIMUM. Are the pups parents from field bred dogs? Are the parents titled?
    I would be glad to talk to you on the phone and explain more and you are welcome to come over here and watch a training session. I am in Dry Ridge which is about an hour and 15 minute drive up I 71 toward Cincinnati. Send me a PM and I will give you my contact information.

6. duckhunternate

duckhunternate Elite Refuge Member

Research, research, research. If you are looking to buy a pup blind (you don't know the breeder) you need to ask a number of questions, and ask for references. Talk to those references and see what they have to say.

Prepare to pay more than you want to. This is often the case, and it is often said on the fuge, that guys spend thousands of dollars on guns, decoys, boats, gear, etc. and then want to spend as little as possible on a dog. It doesn't work that way. I'm not saying there are no good $100 dogs out there, I'm sure there are. It's just that you get less and less reliable dogs as the price is lowered.

I'd also suggest buying from a kennel, and preferably one with guarantees. In my opinion the best breeders have contracts and guarantees--they've got nothing to hide and they prove it. Health guarantees are important, they protect you in the case of a major problem.

A year and a half ago I got a dog through a friend, it was what I would call a researched backyard breeding...ie, they knew about breeding and had papered parents, but there were no guarantees. A month ago I lost that pup, he was my baby, and died from a seizure out of the blue. It hurt so much to loose an animal like that that I had invested so much in. A week ago we picked up a 7.5 week old Chocolate Lab Male from Alma Bottom Pointing Labs. I paid 3 times what I paid for my first dog, but I wanted to do everything in my power to make sure that I wouldn't have the same thing happen again. I could've gotten dogs for less, but after seeing the detail that Stu (from Alma Bottom) goes into, I couldn't rationalize going anywhere else.

When you do get your pup, I would also recommend you get involved with a local retriever club. You meet some great people, and learn all kinds of great training tips and methods. I got involved with my local club a year before I got a pup, it was great to see what these dogs can do, and if you get involved early, it makes you want to come back time and time again.

Best of luck with your dog purchase, I hope you find the right one for you.

Nate

7. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Senior Refuge Member