Where to purchase bumpers

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Squaller, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Thanx all...

There used to be a site for "second-hand" bumpers, but alas they must not be active anymore.

I would really like to thank Greg (Wavie), as he sent me several very nice bumpers at no cost.... They are going to help me out immensely.

I am not a fan of canvas bumbers in general, but they are great for teaching dogs to use their nose (which in most of my hunting situations they need to do). Canvas bumbers hold those scent products far better than rubber bumpers...

Greg, sincerely, thank you so much!

Marc

Constructeur likes this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I don't know what scent product you're using, just that there's no way it smells like a fresh shot bird and that you may find that plain bumpers actually put off more scent than the product. Know that's what I learned many years ago by my putting my own inferior snoz to a new bottle of someone's rendition of "pheasant": the oldest rubber bumper I owned put off a stronger scent than whatever was in the bottle.

craig wilson and Doc E like this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

You could be correct... I have purchased bottles of the stuff in the past and used it... But, I also take those canvas bumpers on quail, pheasant, and planted hunts (generally pheasants and chuckar). I throw the birds and bumpers in a bag, and would guess by the dogs ability to scent those bumpers, that they hold some of that scent for some time...

But, maybe they just smell the canvas bumper???

I know that they can smell those rubber bumpers as well... Rubber must be the next best smell other than a bird for most decent hunting labs...

4. Rick Hall

There's no question they can smell canvas bumpers, and a whole lot of other things that we can't smell at all. On your tracking related thread, I alluded to the tracking work my ex- and I did with four of our dogs, and all they tracked was where I'd walked. We began with short tracks where I'd just walked and dropped a bumper they enjoyed retrieving, and with them in harness and on lead wandering back and forth across my route until they found the bumper and got a retrieve for reward. Didn't take any time at all for our Chessie, English setter, beagle and even Westie to connect my tracks to the bumper, and all were soon doing up to half mile, hour or so old tracks of nothing but tracks.

If there was a "trick" to it, it was the long legged ones being slowed by being on lead (to a harness that didn't affect their breathing) so they couldn't outrun their noses on such a faint trail.

5. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

OP; are bumpers really gonna "set you back" that much???

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if scent is good or not but was running my one year old on marks using a new launcher in rice straw about 18" tall with straw windrows from harvester as well as they had just finished harvesting the field. We had put some scent on one and launched it a couple times. Went to do a double and grabbed a new bumper for the launcher with no scent on it. Shot them both, she marked them both but she could not find that unscented bumper. It took us 30 minutes to find that bumper. Everyone that had scent she found in 10 seconds or less. I have access to pigeons for training but no pheasants, so I use the pheasant scent in my hunt dead training half the time and in my field/quartering training and on her first pheasant hunt at little over a year, she put up 6 pheasants which in CA is like a million these days, so for $10 a bottle I will keep using it.

7. Rick Hall

If it works for you, it works for you. I'm old enough to recall when some advocated supplementing scent with anise oil.

But we somehow manage to train in first crop rice stubble and all stages of second crop rice (and umpteen other cover types) with plain rubber bumpers without issues.

8. Fetchitupup

Fetchitupup Senior Refuge Member

Took my plastic bumpers and let them sit in a 5 gal bucket with a dead duck and this helps with the scent. Seems to work.