Where to start

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by thatguy2, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Not trying to be a debbie downer but i will be surprised if your pond holds water. I went through same thing. Ended up putting in a pond liner and burrying it. Stays pretty full. Been 5 years now. I went through 2 "ponds" before i got one to hold water. Was epic fails and a lot of work and wasted money. Takes a ton of rain to fill or even half fill the hole you have. Especially with no run off or high water table. I tried to put up couple pics of my process but isng working. Screenshots from photobucket. Lol

2. Lonegoose35

Here is Screenshot_20170922-174317.png Screenshot_20170922-174328.png couple pics

Attached Files:

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

It'll hold water and it will get a lot of runoff. It's holding enough water in the bottom for the dogs to swim around the brush. 20+ acres of runoff feed it. Heck I had to upsize the overflow pipe. We had to wait for a drought to build it because it was so wet. We just haven't gotten any rain. My yard is brown. October is usually fairly wet, hoping the pattern holds. Rain in the forecast, but we haven't had a rain with significant runoff since early August and even then it wasn't much.

4. Lonegoose35

Well hopefully it rains for you. Not too much of course. Good luck w the birds.

5. thatguy2

IMG_2856.JPG Got 1.5" but little run off. The cracks in the yard closed up so hopefully the rain predicted this weekend can run off into my pond. It did come up a little. I calculated at work I need roughly 750k gallons to fill it...

Side note: next year when it has water would it be better to keep the edges mowed, or plant more stuff around the edge. Geese fly over nightly and ducks fly over in the AM.

6. thatguy2

IMG_2904.JPG IMG_2903.JPG 4" of rain last night and it came up a few feet. Also had 20 canadas come over tree top tall when I was out checking it out.