Where to start?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BOSSRIVER, Oct 12, 2014.

1. BOSSRIVER

BOSSRIVER Senior Refuge Member

I am wanting to start making my own summer sausage, and hamburger for the deer and ducks we harvest every year.
    I did a search and read some past threads which got me more interested.
    I would like to buy the necessary equipment (grinder, stuffer etec.)to get started.
    From you experienced guys what equipment (size,brand etc.) would you purchase.We harvest around 4 deer per season but would only grind up approx. 10 lbs per deer. Also have buddy's that would partake with there kill.
    Any help would be appreciated. Would like to purchase the right equipment the first time that will last.
    Thanks for your time

2. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

With only grinding 10lb each time I wouldn't think you need something real expensive. We used to use a cheap gander mt. one. I believe it was only $50 on a black friday deal. It worked great we still have it and it works just like the first time we used it. The only reason we went for a bigger one was due to how long it would take to grind all of our meat. If were doing goose I do at least 25lbs at a time. However, we grind a lot more of our deer and goose so since then so we have purchased a 3/4hp one from Cabelas. I have a hard time keeping up with the grinder. It will grind meat just as fast as you can feed it. If your looking for one you'll have around forever I would look at something that is stainless.
    As far as the stuffer goes. You have a lot of options it just depends on how much you want to spend. I have a 5lb stuffer and it does the job. All of my summer sausage casing will only hold around 3lbs so I do not need anything more. Again when you do buy one make sure you get one with all metal gears. Good luck

3. JBRUNO4590

JBRUNO4590 Elite Refuge Member

I recommend the LEM brand. I have their stuffer, grinder, and meat slicer. All are top notch. I did years of trying to grind and stuff using a Kitchenaid. I never realized what I was missing until bought some good stuff. Most can be found at Bass Pro, usually for a decent price too.

4. BOSSRIVER

BOSSRIVER Senior Refuge Member

5. migr82az

migr82az Refuge Member

This.