Where were you...

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stumpjumper0531, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Was in a meeting at work when someone came in and informed us of what was going on. I lived about an hour from work and I had to drive home on a wing and a prayer because I needed gas and every station was running out of gas while selling it for 4 something a gallon. I always respected our little gas station at home because they never changed their price

2. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Refuge Member

That AM my daughter said her stomach hurt and couldn't go to school - gave her a ginger ale, she drank half on way to school and then went home to drop the can off. Heard on radio there was smoke in WTC so went in and turned on TV just in time to see second plane go in. We live outside NYC and could see towers burning the whole drive home. Got call my daughter rushed to ER so turned back, watching more jets in the air, wings loaded than I had ever seen before. Daughter so little the nurses couldn't get an IV in. No problem, as since our hospital was designated as a primary center for survivors, the whole parking lot was like a MASH unit with cots and docs in scrubs. An EMS guy used to dealing with stressed kids got the IV in - if he wasn't already there don't know what would happened. A neighbor had a kid with leukemia, and mom couldn't take him to chemo, so dad did - dad whose office was on 102nd floor. Kid eventually passed, but they had two more children that wouldn't have existed if dad had been at work. Lost 12 people from our church. It's hard to explain to people from other parts of the country 16 years later. Still surreal this close where there is still rebuilding in lower Manhattan. Probabably nearest thing I can imagine is people who lived in Honalulu on 12/7. You just never get some things out of your mind when you are that close. Sorry for long rant, but still a little raw up here. But God has a reason for everything. We just don't always understand it.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

I just dropped my kids off at school,decided to call my friend in Northern Nevada,all he said was go home turn on the TV,your life will never be the same.How right he was.
    God Bless America!!!

4. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Was meeting with a customer in Rochester NH when someone stepped in and let us know. Listened to Howard Stern that morning on my ride home - growing up on Long Island NY, had friends and family that where victims and heros that day.
    God Bless them all!

5. QuinnNadu

QuinnNadu Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Actually happened to have stayed home sick that day from school. Remembered having early morning TV on and the news cut in on every channel.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Watched it on TV as I got ready for work. Went in and had some American friends come in from duck hunting (opens Sept 8th for non-residents up here) to say hello, and I had to tell them what had happened. One of the guys borrowed my phone and make a few calls, and came up to me, obviously shaken, and said "We have to go home." Found out that he and his buddy had both been in the reserves and their unit had been activated. Still see them once in awhile up here in the fall.

The world changed for the worse that day.

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Had the news on as having breakfast and reading paper.

8. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Was at work at my computer, boss sitting right behind me broke the news....