Which boat?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Naladog, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Naladog

Naladog New Member

B4E6EED0-2026-4FB8-A99E-4A55A822AEDF.jpeg 1EDFB0AA-877E-4EAB-9F69-85AA6F094A5F.jpeg Buddies and i are looking for a great lakes diver boat for both tending and hunting out of without using layout boat. Have an opportunity to pickup both below boats.

1979 starcraft mariner 21’ CC with 88 mercury black max 200 hanging on it. Has a custom built offshore transom. Diamond plated flooring.

——or——-
    2008 Seaway Skiff 19’ that is gutted and would be a rebuild project.

Obviously there is a price difference of the two due to motor right off the bat but if i went with the starcraft i would probably replace the motor right away. Not sure im comfortable with going well offshore with a 19 year old outboard.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, opinions on which boat would perform the best all while taking the “captain factor” out of the conversation.

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

3. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Go with the mariner. As for the motor 19 years old is nothing. The motor on my main rig is 43 years old and still kicking. I've abused the heck out of it too. Where about on the great lakes are you planning using it ?

4. Naladog

Naladog New Member

All the big water. Erie, saginaw bay, michigan

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

What is the age on the motor? You listed as an '88, but then you wrote "19 year old." While I'm not scared off by a 30 year old motor for most things, I'd be a little nervous on big water in the winter if that was all I had to count on.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hey, I was OK with thinking I was 24 again... :nutz

7. Naladog

Naladog New Member

I dont count so good....29 year old. :)

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  8. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Statecraft and upgrade the motor and get a kicker

9. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

This is good advise. Even if you didn't update the main engine right away and added a newer 9.9 or 15 kicker you would be in Good shape. If rather be in a boat with an older but reliable main engine with a kicker motor than a boat with just 1 engine no matter the age. I would also add a drift sock. It can save your life in the event of a power failure.

10. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Starcraft.

Every one of those Mariners I have been around has needed their transom to be rebuilt. If they did some shady "custom" work you could be in for an expensive welding job to get it right, make sure you check it out pretty close.

Awesome boats overall. I have killed a pile of ducks out of one and caught as many fish.