Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Which brand of Bow to buy?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by huntinggeek, Feb 3, 2003.

1. txdukklr

txdukklr Elite Refuge Member

not being a bow expert i just bought mine I would recommend going to a range trying them out.

The recommendations from the bow range (which carried both Hoyt and Mathews) was that they new hoyts with the cam and a half were going to help hoyt gain marketshare.

After explaining in detail the differences it makes sense why the cam and a half design would be better than a solocam.

They emphatically said the Legacy wasn't Mathews best bow.

2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I won a Hoyt Cybertec at a DU dinner and I love it! I had a Browning Firestorm which was a GREAT bow.

If I had no bow and had to buy one............. It would be a Matthews.

3. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

PSE's suck in my opinion i just went through the process of finding the right bow and i ended up with a hoyt razortec. Im gettin 302 fps with a 29" draw..... great bow... i love it...

wb

4. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

txdukklr- those cam and a halfs that hoyt claims to be new have been around for like 10 years.... the dealer i bought my bow from told me that its a common misconception that thats a new concept.... i thought it was.... ive never seen the old ones but i love the new hoyts...

WB

5. bkhunter

bkhunter Elite Refuge Member

I would go with the "Mathews" bows.

6. blacklabde

blacklabde Senior Refuge Member

Check out the new Matthews LX. It's supposed to be the hottest thing coming out on the market.

7. FETHRCUTTR

FETHRCUTTR Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a matthews bow and have shot one for a long time. Like alot of people said I would try to get the matthews and the hoyt bows and go to a indoor range or outdoor range and see which one you like the best. It is what ever you like and feels right

8. Grant-KS

Grant-KS Senior Refuge Member

Bowtech!!!!!!!!!! From what I've heard.........every single person that has an LX ordered is going to buy a different brand of bow, and sell their LX's out of the box. ALOT of people are really ****ed off at Mathews right now, and a friend of mine FINALLY got to shoot one as a dealer demo, and he said it wasn't anything special........no better than their older models, and he shoots 2 Mathews Icons. One for target, and one for hunting. I shoot the Bowtech Patriot and LOVE it!!!!!!! When I do my part........it's in the X! I'm not trying to put down Mathews here, but that's the experiences I've heard from quite a few target shooters on Archerytalk, and Realtree competitive archery forums. I HAD a PSE Thunderbolt, and won't ever again! LOL The grip didn't feel good, the limbs cracked, and I couldn't adjust draw length short enough for me (that was my problem, but one of the main reasons I sold it.) The other reason is I got my Patriot at dealer cost! Good luck!!!!!!!

9. jjtroutkiller

jjtroutkiller Elite Refuge Member

I have shot Mathews, PSE, Bear, Martin, and Hoyt and I can't honestly say that one of them killed deer any faster than the others. Find one that feels good to shoot and then practice as often as you can. I currently shoot a Mathews Q2 and would buy another if needed but there are plenty of good options out there, go to a dealer where you can be exposed to several different brands.

10. Tree

Tree Senior Refuge Member

Hoyt's new Cam and a 1/2 is proving to be a very popular bow. They took the top award at the AMO show a couple months ago as best new product in the archery industry. I recently bought one and love it. What I really like about it is how quiet and yet still very fast. I uderstand Hoyt can't make them fast enough they are so popular. I think the new Hoyt will be the number one seller this year.

Mark