Which Broadhead Do You Use and Why?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by creighton58, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ButtonBuck

ButtonBuck Elite Refuge Member

Muzzy 3 blade 100gr.

I really can't complain, Its kind of like shooting the .30-06. If you're in a pinch and short on time, you can pretty much find them anywhere.

They do however shoot about 4" lower than my field points, where my bow used to be 1:1 with Thunderheads. I bought new arrows and just grabbed the Muzzy's thinking they'd be the same. Not so much, but I did switch from XX78's to Gold Tips.

Next bow I plan on going with G5 Montecs. As much hoopla there is about the Rage broadheads, I'm still not sold on mechanicals.

2. hailcall

hailcall Elite Refuge Member

Turkeys I use rage 2 blade in 100 grain
    Deer I use Nitron 100 grain fixed blades,
    I have used slicktricks and they are good also, I think the montec g5 is a fair broadhead, I donot really care for muzzy never have just personal opinion due to flight issues, I think there is a definate difference in broadheads created in the last 2 years that make older ones almost obsolete in my mind, Especially if your shooting a compund bow in speed that are in excess of 240fps.

3. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

I think I am going to give them a try.....the idea is great!

4. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

G5 montecs!

5. just ducky

just ducky Senior Refuge Member

Stand hunting Rage 2 blade.
    Still hunting slick trick 4 blade.

6. ButtonBuck

ButtonBuck Elite Refuge Member

Why the difference?

Just curious:)

7. 5.9cummins

5.9cummins Refuge Member

spitfire 3 blade 100gr

tried hammer heads this year "JUNK"

My buddy has them and they leave a nasty hole but dont hold up.

Im toying with the idea of rages this year (i need some replacements).

Ive heard that they will Plug the hole if you dont get a pass through because the blades dont deploy until "after" the head enters the body.

8. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

The rage is a rear deployment so they are opened before they enter the animal. If your using a spitfire then you will be upgrading 100% with a rage. I hate the spitfire. Used them on a couple deer and had terrible success and it wasnt about shot placement it was about them not opening up. I have bow hunted for 22 years and shot muzzy, spitfire,thunderheads,hypershock and just like the tv endorsements say, the rage work that good.(IMO)

9. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

I'll be using the new Razortrick from Slick Trick, this fall, for deer. :)

Since my bow speed has increased and I like shooting fixed blade broadheads, I'm having to use a short ferrule broadhead to maintain the same POI as the field tips.

I prefer 1 1/2" or wider cutting diameter mechanical broadheads for geese, turkeys and groundhogs. This type of broadhead always opens on these types of critters. Tough hides, feathers, bones, etc. will always open any mechanical broadhead. :yes

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

10. steelheader

steelheader Elite Refuge Member

Well if we could use Mechs out here I would use the rage but we have to use fixed blade broadheads. I have tried many and most do a great job at inside 25yds. Out past that alot tend to plain the Slick trixs works awesome and so do the G5 strikers.

You can also go simple old school with a 2 blade like G5 b52's or magnus 2 blade. I have used them and they fly the same as my field points without and tuning what so ever. I would say try a few different kinds and see what works best for you.