Which BYG seed ...

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by JFG, Feb 21, 2018.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

A11FC480-5C3C-437C-8A0B-085799B5E550.jpeg Looking at sowing BYG in the impoundment this spring. It will be alternated between the sections of corn. There are several varieties to choose from, I was leaning towards the Crus-Galli variety (aka water grass in western parts) because it’s an excellent seed producer and grows fairly tall. My other consideration is Muricata, a pretty good seed producer but not as tall growing as the c-g. I prefer the c-g BUT some warn against planting it due to it’s invassiveness. It also likes to suck up nitrogen, something the corn has to have too. While I plant RR corn, I’m a little concerned if it will affect the corn sections to the point of hurting it? Don’t know for sure just how managble it would be .....any insight specific to these varieties would be most appreciated.

2. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

I know nothing about BYG but just reading your post I have two concerns:
    1) corn needs a ton of nitrogen (as you state). I've always been a firm believer that to half-butt anything is to never give your whole butt to anything. I would be nervous you'd get a poor stand of both corn and BYG by sowing two plant varieties that will inevitably not get their full nutritional needs.
    2) if one variety of BYG requires a lot of nitrogen, is it safe to assume the other won't?

If you decide to not go with corn and BYG but still want some variety, go with beans. Beans SOW nitrogen on their own, so you're essentially planting beans and getting a better stand of the other plant variety because of it.... and I've had some good fowl hunts in beans.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

I think he means a block of corn, then next to it a block of BYG. Not mixed together. I dont think it would be a problem then

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

KA has it correct, the open water shown in the pic is between 2 sections of corn. I have 3 open sections total, that is where I want the byg to go. It will be replacing mostly panic grass. My concern is the reported aggressive nature of the c-g byg and was wondering if anyone else might discourage using it adjacent to their main crop.

It’s probably alright, just might have to stay on it more often than I have the panic grass.

5. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

I would not hesitate to plant BYG of any variety in your situation. My problem when I have grown RR corn in the past has been too little native vegetation establishing itself under the corn. BYG should not outcompete corn if the corn stays clean until well established; it will create enough shade to suppress most competition. I want it to get "dirty" once the corn has made.

6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Not sure of variety but planted some bought from River Refuge Seed about mid june last year and it took off. Grew to 3' tall and produced a beautiful seed crop. Going to plant other half pond this year with same as I was impressed. I live on coastal eastern shore md. so climates are kind of similar to you.

7. DisplacedDuck

JFG, will you rotate this field from year to year or plan to keep planting corn and BYG (if it works this time around)?

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I’m with you hhpage, definitely good to have some native veg mixed in the corn. Some of my panic grass got to competing with the corn (mostly on outside and several rows deep). Don’t mind that, just don’t want something “more” aggressive to the point where it might become an issue. This byg doesn’t grow as tall or course as the pg so I’d bet it would get shaded out quicker. But it does like nitrogen, as does the corn.

DB, yep, plan on getting it from River Refuge. Glad to hear how well it did, I’m guessing you did a stand alone plot. Let me know how you sowed it. You guys are a little colder up there but not by a whole lot.

Probably won’t rotate the corn, no one around here seems to do that but I very well may change up/ move around some of the locations of the plots. I really like that byg - BIG seed producer vs. panic grass. Says it also won’t germinate until the following spring if matures during cool weather, unlike jap millet, most of which seems to germ around here as soon as it hits the water.

9. DisplacedDuck

If you don't plan on rotating simply because folks around you don't rotate, I'd inquire what they do to prepare their crop. I'd be willing to wager a penny or two that they heavily fertilize with nitrogen-rich fertilizer. Otherwise you'll drain that field's nitrogen supply over the years.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Understand for sure. I take soil samples and send them off to the state for analysis (free). I tell them what will be going in and they in turn tell me how much N,P,K and lime per acre I’ll need.

I did make it sound like “because of” but I don’t take things like that for chance when so much is riding on having food in my pond. :tu

DisplacedDuck likes this.