Which BYG seed ...

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by JFG, Feb 21, 2018.

1. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing! Good luck and post pictures of the field when the time comes!

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Haha, after a lot of trial and error and just plain lack of farming knowledge, I feel I’m finally getting a little better understanding of how things are “supposed” to work. Doesn’t always happen though.

I talked with Chris yesterday at River Refuge Seed and got a lot of reassuring info from their experience with the byg. Gonna give it a whirl if the shipping cost (west coast to east coast) doesn’t break the bank. Will definately have some pics later on.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Timed drawdown to leave ground workable but damp for about mid june to first of july. Ran tractor mounted rototiller over area and broadcast seed w/hopper behind 4 whlr. ran a drag over area and let rain do its thing. Doesn't take hardly any cover on seed . By first of sept. seed had started dropping from plants. Mistake I made was bush hogging 2/3 of pond prior to oct. Going to let mother nature beat it down this year after flooded.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for that helpful info. Sounds like it matures almost as quickly as Jap millet. The guy at RR said it would lay down on its own fairly quickly in that the stalks weren’t as course/strong as Jap, something that you apparently noticed also later on. I’ll be able to plant it as late as I want this year but if I rely strictly on a volunteer crop next year, the water will have to come off earlier because I’ll want corn in ground around first week in May. That means seeds would hit ground much earlier, which I hope won’t germinate before fall flood up. I was told as long as I can keep water off them for four or so days I’d be good to go. I have a pump that keeps water off the corn so I hope it would keep everything else dry enough.