Which caliber would you choose for Moose & Griz?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Captain Finlander, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Captain Finlander

Captain Finlander Senior Refuge Member

Looking for a large game caliber to compliment my 270 win. but can't make up my mind. What I really thought I wanted still has yet to become main stream.

I was and am still considering a 338'06 but it's not mainstream yet.

The 338 win. mag because it is readily available.
    or
    a 9.3x62 for the cool factor.

The 338'06 packs all the punch I feel is needed but am still amazed that it has not become a factory chambering yet. The latter two are basically identical with the edge leaning towards the magnum by 100 foot pounds.

This will be my Moose, Grizzly, Elk rifle. Input please?

2. cococreek

cococreek Senior Refuge Member

300wsm
    325wsm(my choice)

Nothing wrong with those you've already mentioned

If 338/06 was a factory load I'd already have one

my.02$

3. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

First 12 or so years in AK I used an 06 for everything- incl- moose- brown bear and grizz- then next 10 yrs went to 300 Win Mag- love it and still have/use it. That said lots of friends had 338 Win mag's I had three over years but never really liked them- also had a Custom Rem 416 Ruger #1 for back up one year when i was guiding. me I'd go with 338 or 300WM

4. lilly

lilly Senior Refuge Member

5. Captain Finlander

Captain Finlander Senior Refuge Member

I agree that the 300 mags are America's favorite!

6. Raul G

Raul G Elite Refuge Member

I am new to rifle shooting. I was told in Africa that the 30-06 was a good all around caliber, except for big game over there not enough, what are the advantages of a 300 win mag over the 30-06? I've only taken three pigs here with the Rem 700 in 30-06, 150 grain Rem corelokt standards. In Africa I used loaner rifles in 7x57 mm, .338, and 416 rigby, never took anything bigger than kudu. Of course in Africa never shot past 175 yards.

7. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Ballistics, on average around 400 f.p.s faster than the 06,with the same bullet, it adds up on energy, and flatter shooting.My favorite rifle in the rack for 30+ years.

8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

beings i've never killed griz or moose, but have tipped a few elk over with my
    .338, they tip over nicely when shot with a 275gr bullet. I will be carrying that gun/round for a deer hunt on Kodiak this year..not cause i need it for the deer, but for what may come around the corner at me. I have faith in that round.

9. Grand Passage

Grand Passage Elite Refuge Member

+1 on .338WM or 300WM. Those are the two calibers I used when guiding in Alaska and never felt under gunned.

10. minminn

minminn Elite Refuge Member

Remington tried a revival of the 35 whelan round several years ago, not a long distance shooter, but it'll do the trick.
    It's a hard hitting round and the "shock" factor for knocking down an animal of those calibers might be considered over the rockets.

But I'm no expert, so consult "NUMEROUS" guides for valued opinions.