Which Canada Silohouette

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Feb 21, 2018.

Which Canada Silohouette

Poll closed Apr 11, 2018.
  1. Dive Bomb V2F (flocked head)

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Outlaw Mag

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Real Geese Pro II

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  4. Big Als Greater

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. White Rock (flocked head)

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

This season we experimented with Big Al silo b&w’s. Based on results along with setup/takedown time, ease of transport and getting into fields, we’ve decided to add a silo spread as another option. Not being versed in silos I’m looking for some input on which brands guys have used and had success with. I know location is #1 followed up by a good hide, but when it comes to the silo, which one seems to hold up best and look good after several times out?

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Flocked head silos, that’s the ticket.

3. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Hands down Real Geese for durability. Plus they are made in Usa.

DrakeStar likes this.
  4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I've had up to 8 dozen real geese pro series 2's in the past, currently the only silhouettes I have are 5 dozen dive bombs that I flocked heads and tails on. I've killed birds over just the divebombs, but I like the real geese better and might switch back.

5. marshmob

I like how sturdy real geese are vs the other brands but heard the fabric fades after a few seasons. Anyone on here experience that? The flocked heads on some of the others look great but not a fan of the corrugated bodies. I am surprised real geese haven’t come out with a flocked head/tail version. I know some have done this on their own BUT at $220dz it doesn’t seem like you should have to modify or improve the decoy right out of the box.

cnegeese801 likes this.
  6. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

I flocked the heads/tails on about three dozen of my real geese silos on a whim ,they do pop more in the field as opposed to the unflocked ones,but as usual walk out 50 yards and all you really notice is the black and white,probably why rigs of just simple black and whites work so well .

cnegeese801 and goosenazi like this.
  7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The Real Geese will fade and they are tough when the ground is hard. The Dive Bombs are easier to get into hard ground than Big Al's. I'll be buying more Dive Bombs and will probably buy the flocked heads.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  8. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Realgeese will hold up better over a longer period of time, I have some of the old originals that still kill plenty of geese when I use them. Their only downside in my opinion is their weight, they do get heavy. Any of the corrugated plastic ones have being light weight as their primary advantage. When you are packing stuff in 300-400 yards the extra 20# a bag makes a difference. I have some old Jennyvane ones that are likely 15 years old, they are starting to wear in areas now but, again, still kill geese whenever I use them. It's all what you want out of the decoys, light weight or a lifetime of durability.

9. marshmob

I’m planning on this being my spread for when I can’t drive the field, hunting by myself, or setting large numbers.

10. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I had several dozen real geese 2s that were close to 10 years old that had faded quite a bit. I misted them with camo brown spray paint back to looking good as new. In fact I added several dozen more this year that were too light for my liking right out of the box so I darkened them up. I agree that for what you pay for them you shouldn’t have to do that. However, I would rather have the option of being able to spray paint that fabric when needed than dealing with decoys with the non fabric surface that eventually scratch and shine making them virtually useless except on cloudy days. Also...a little modification to those wood stakes makes them super easy to push into hard ground.