Which Drake jacket?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by ducksinwv, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ducksinwv

ducksinwv New Member

Looking at the MST Eqwader Deluxe, MST Fleece Lined Full ZIP, or MST Shooters. I like a trimmer jacket with less bulk I can layer under that still provides a bit of warmth and I can’t afford the new Guardian Series. Of those three who has experience with them? Pros/cons? Which one is warmest? Which one is too thin? Benefit of having the fleece bottom vs shell material full length?

2. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

My experience with Darke jackets... they leak.

J.Bennett likes this.
  3. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

IMO, they are very expensive. I'd keep an eye on their website and wait until they have something on sale there. Either in their clearance section or in their "pit" section. You can get some extremely good deals there. What you want depends on how you hunt.

5. snipe a duck

snipe a duck Elite Refuge Member

I had the same experience. Was a comfy jacket but was like wearing paper towels in the rain. I would look at other brands if you need something waterproof.

J.Bennett and goosenazi like this.
  6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^This^^^^^, plus they fall apart.

goosenazi likes this.
  7. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

8. ducksinwv

ducksinwv New Member

I usually boat in hunt, and field hunt. I'm usually the decoy technician in our group, hence the need for a thinner jacket with less bulk as I do a lot of moving around. I don't like a bulky jacket. Do you have experience with either of the three I mentioned? Or the Strata Systems coat?

9. ducksinwv

ducksinwv New Member

10. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

The Strata is a fleece lined coat. It's not thin like a shell jacket. In my opinion, it's hard to layer under the strata. If you want to keep bulk to a minimum and still feel confident about waterproofing(I've had some older stuff that leaked bad and some of the more recent stuff that hasn't), get the fleece lined pullover in a size larger than normal. It's a warm pullover, but there's room to layer under and it's waterproof. If you still wonder about waterproofing, just buy a frogg toggs, or (insert other brand here) light weight(breathable) shell or rain jacket and wear it over the top. Or get the 3 in 1, which is my favorite, system. It has a full zip eqwader as the liner, so it's not too hot and definitely not bulky. You have the option to take the sleeves off the eqwader liner and make it a vest as well.