Which Drake jacket?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by ducksinwv, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ducksinwv

ducksinwv New Member

Good advice. Thank you sir

2. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I have had three Drake jackets and never have had an issue with quality. Anything leaks at some point.

3. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

I have the 3 in 1 LST Drake jacket for 3 seasons now. I have no complaints so far and I hunt in rain/ snow and everything else. you have to remember that old saying too " if you're not wet and not cold, then you're not duck hunting"

callinfowl likes this.
  4. ducksinwv

ducksinwv New Member

Is it too bulky to be worn under waders? Seems like a big heavy coat

5. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

I wear the wader jacket underneath my waders, and the shell jacket over the waders and hasn't been do bad. Only little problem I have had is when I'm in a layout blind, trying to shoulder my gun, and will get caught sometimes bringing it up

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

This may sound crazy but I usually don't wear my top layer when setting decoys or picking them.

WestKyHunt likes this.
  7. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Me either. Whether its big game or waterfowl, I'm usually in a base layer and maybe a midlayer for that early morning work. When I settle in to start hunting, I'll layer up then.

The drake jackets are fine, not a rain jacket. I've had two 1/4 zips over the last 10 years and only had to replace one cause I caught it on fire trying to dry it out after I fell in. They are a decent outlayer if you aren't hunting real cold weather. They are slimmer and tuck into waders nicely, in my experience.

I picked up a used duck oven (sitka) from someone on here last year and used it when glassing out west this year. What a jacket. Can't wait to use it duck hunting this year.

8. Big Gun

Big Gun Senior Refuge Member

Save you time on Drake, I gave all of mine away, buy a Sitka and be done with your search. Changed over to all Sitka from Cabela's, Drake, Columbia, etc., Sitka has "real" Gortex no imitation.

9. ducksinwv

ducksinwv New Member

Yeah two newborn twins and I'm a teacher. No money for Sitka. Unless I don't buy anything waterfowl related for the next 3-4 years combined lol.

BADLARRY250 likes this.
  10. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I have the 1/4 zip MST pullover with the outer material on the whole thing, it's not 1/2 fleece like some of their stuff. No issues but it's too warm(for me) to wear when walking in or setting up. I only wear it when it's really cold but it works well. I bought it on clearance for about $40 with a regular price of around $120-$150. Search around, you can find great deals if you're patient.