Which Electronics

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by DUCKIES1, Jan 28, 2018.

1. DUCKIES1

DUCKIES1 Senior Refuge Member

I know i will get more than a few reply's and opinions on this one. However I want to read all the reply's before shelling out the green backs. Thanks to all in advance. If anyone of you may have a good system for sale I'd be interested

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

3. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Ya know Native, it seems a bit smug each time you just post past posts. Not each person looks for it.
    For a Training collar, I love my Tri- Tronics Pro 500, now the Garmin Tri-Tropics 550. Easy to use and no need to look at the transmitter to raise levels when needed.
    As far as release electronics , I prefer Dogtra. Hope this helps.

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Like Baydog, I really like Dogtra electronics, and I used to be a TriTronics fan, but now I definitely prefer the Dogtra ecollars.
    BTW, Baydog" has some really good prices -- take a look at his website.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Ya know Baydog, you are probably right. There is nothing useful in any of those links.

6. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I prefer the "tube" style TT transmitters over everything else for training. I hunt with them, too. I would be happy with most Dogtra products, they make an excellent collar. In my opinion, have used other brands than TT/Garmin or Dogtra, there is no "third choice." Go with TT/Garmin or Dogtra.

7. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Up until recently, I was using the Australian Elsema Garage door opener electronics on my DYI "KwickWingers".
    Technical support was immediate. :tu

A few years ago, I purchased several new wingers and a launcher with Dogtra electronics. The change was huge.
    They have worked flawlessly.......as long as I remember to hold the "on" button down long enough for the green
    "go" light to begin flashing. :h

8. JimG

JimG Elite Refuge Member

Tritronics lost my business after the acquisition by Garmin. They gutted the product line and no backward compatibility. I have a G2 Flyway special, works fine, but been idle since I retired Barkley a couple of years ago.....No batteries available last time I checked. I have a transmitter and 3 receivers for launcher electronics. No parts, no backward capability..... If all goes well I will have a pup this spring, so this time next year I may find myself needing to buy a new e-collar..... will be Dogtra.

Doc E likes this.
  9. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I initially purchased a tri_tronics pro200xls 2 dog model and have had good success with it. Recently switched to the Dogtra edge. When I researched new e collars it appeared most folks were going with Dog tra and said their customer support and warranty were better and folks generally stated the when tri-tronics sold to harm in that they thought harm in didn't have the same quality and customer support.

I reviewed the Dogtra edge and edge RT and decided on the edge with the tracking lights. Read a couple reviews on folks havi g so.e issues with water getting in the light cover. Contacted Dogtra prior to purchasing to get their take on the issue. They acknowledged an issue initially but said they resolved it and said it was fully waterproof for water and retrievers swimming with it. Okay I said and ordered one and an additional collar. Everyone was pleased with the tracking lights living out in the country with no fence we could clearly see the dogs. Less than one week I take the pup duck hunting this past Saturday. Get her out of the kennel while we were launching and loading boat with tracking light blinking. My friends were liking the feature. I said let's see if it holds up after it gets exposed to water. Well as luck would have it the unit got water in the lighted lenses portion and everything stopped working. No lights, pager, Nick or constant. Waiting to see how well Dogtra customer support is and whether it can be repaired or if I will resort back to my tri_tronics or an edge st with no lights. The stimulation is definitely hotter with the Dogtra than my old tri-tronics after experimenting on myself and wife. Kinda fun doing the Nick tests on each other but still have to find the sweet spot on each dog.

I have been wanting to have my wife wear the collar when we go shopping as I hate shopping and get especially irritated when she does the disappearing act on me and doesn't answer the phone. I said could you imagine the pager warning and then the progressive Nick.

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

If it works......I would be interested in how you managed to have her agree to wear one. If that is effectively presented,
    please post up on what program you used and how long it took to produce a reliable conditioned response. What
    about maintenance? :l

Since marriage is all about sharing which brand of collar will you be wearing? :yes

Hogleg likes this.