Which GPS?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Mean Gene, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Looking to buy a handheld GPS unit this year and want to use onX with it. Suggestions? Ones to avoid?

2. murdock84

murdock84 Elite Refuge Member

I have a Garmin Montana 650T I bought in 2012. I like it as it can be used as a handheld or as an auto GPS. I use it in my car, on my motorcycle/dualsport, atv and for handheld use. Maps can be uploaded to it on a yearly basis as well. It also has a camera built into it as well. They don't make that specific model anymore but have newer versions of it.

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have a GPS but find myself using my phone app much more often.

A few years ago I drew an area that I had hunted in the past. I ran my boat down the flooded road but came to the field that the spot was in and was lost because it was raining a fine mist/fog.. I didn't have the spot in my GPS nor did I have it with me.

But I knew where the spot was and pulled my phone out to find out where I was on the map.

deadeyedick likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'm in the same situation as Mean and don't have a Smartphone.
    So, do I buy a $600 Smartphone and pay a monthly fee, or a $400-$600 GPS??
    That is the question.

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Depends on your available phone service. Your phone GPS is VERY GOOD so long as you have service whereas a reg GPS will get service anywhere. BUT .... I’d go with a smart phone in that you’ll use it for everything under the sun, literally. So much more you can do with it vs regular GPS.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Check Walmart for straight talk phones. Many available under $200 and even $100

7. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

I use my Samsung S8 for most of my GPS needs but when in the mountains with no cell service I use a Garmin eTrex30.
    Easy to use and didn't break the bank. I have had a couple hand held GPS's and the Garmin is my favorite so far.

8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I concur that while smartphones are great, there are limitations with signal strength and data download amounts. I have one, but for boating/hunting/fishing, I like my Garmin Montana 610T. I'm an old fogie, so the larger screen is great. The smaller units (like the Etrex, and others) are good price-wise, but will have smaller screens, and may not have as many maps functions/availabilities.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I bought an eTrex10 six months ago and still haven't been able to figure out how to use the damn thing. The manuals are worthless to me.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

:l Well, you'll never be lost now. However, it may take awhile to figure out where you are. :D

Mean Gene and Tuleman like this.