Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Which gun to choose?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by bigkid, Dec 30, 2003.

1. bigkid

bigkid Senior Refuge Member

Well, looks like I wore the Browning out. Need to purchase a new duck/goose gun ASAP. What recommendations for a new waterfowling gun.

2. Bob McGowan

Bob McGowan Refuge Member

Beretta 391, either the optima 3" or the extrema 3.5"

3. Kurt Zulauf

Kurt Zulauf Senior Refuge Member

I just purchased my son a Stoeger mod.2000 and so far it seems like a great gun. I was very leary of it but a friend of mine convinced me to give it a shot and it's a nice gun. Same working parts as the Benellie m-1, and I am now thinking of getting one for myself??? Benellie and Stoeger worked on this gun together and did a nice job. Not to mention I got it on sale at Dicks for 300$ and you cant beat that with a bat. Nice rotating Bolt action and that look of the Super Black Eagle.
    Kurt

4. HatterWayne

HatterWayne Elite Refuge Member

? . . . another Browning of course!

:)

5. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

I would go with the Extrema . I bought one last duck season and love it . The one thing that amazes me is you almost never have to clean it at all . My Remingtons have gotta be kept up on after every two cases of shells or they tend to jam like mad. This Beretta just keeps on ticking without missing a beat . This to me anyways means alot due to the amount of use and harsh conditions I put a gun through .

The Browning Gold is alright but Rockfish has one and is getting ready to send it back to the factory. Its not cycling properly. I own a Browning A-Bolt and love it . No problems with it . Browning builds a sweet gun now . The Gold overall is not a bad gun but there is better .

6. Freyguy

Freyguy Elite Refuge Member

Extrema!!!!

I just retired my POS 11-87 SM for a brand new Extrema. I can't say too much from first had experience since I've only put about 10 shells through it so far, but all my friends that have it love it.

7. brdy

brdy Elite Refuge Member

I agree, I just got one too. I researched it, and everyone I talked to said it was reliable. Although damn I didnt know they were on sale at dicks. Paid 475 for mosg. Still a good deal though.

Hey Kurt is yours mosg or black?

8. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

My vote is for the Benelli M1. It rocks.
    W.

9. eagleeyejohn

eagleeyejohn Senior Refuge Member

I too purchased one in summer and it is dead on and no failures. It is licensed by benelli. Mine is the camo pattern and for a third of the price.

10. bigkid

bigkid Senior Refuge Member

The extrema fits me awesome and that rubber inset of grips feels great. But I have heard of the action not working great when it gets really cold. Unfortuneately, I am very abusive to a gun. My Browning Gold just isn't ejecting the shells, and it looks awfully worn inside. I will get Gander Mt to fix it, but retire it. Anyone have a 3 1/2 O/U?