Which Motor?

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Tailfeathers, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Hi guys,
    I'm looking at buying a Swamp Runner, Medium 8-16 hp long tail and trying to decide on which motor. I'm between Duromax 16hp elec start, Lifan 15hp elec start, Harbor Freight Predator 13hp elec start.

What are your recommendations, experiences etc. Thanks

2. Swamp Runner

Swamp Runner New Member Sponsor

Hi Tailfeathers,

We get this question regularly at Swamp Runner Mud Motors, and we can provide some insight based upon what we hear from our customers.
    We've heard enough reports about problems with the Duromax engines, to go out of our way not to recommend them.
    Don't let that 16hp sticker on the recoil cover fool you, it's a 420cc engine which is the same displacement as the Predator. It's only a sticker.
    Also, unless something has changed, the Duromax has no remote throttle hookup linkage, so you would have to fabricate your own.

We would recommend either the Lifan or Predator over the Duromax.
    The 3 year warranty of the Lifan is added piece of mind.
    However, a majority of our customers go with the Predator, and we've heard of very few issues with them.
    No matter which engine you choose, change the cheap spark plug out for a good NGK.

Thank you for choosing Swamp Runner to get you there and back.
    If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call at the shop at 1-800-515-5301.
    We're open Mon-Fri between 10am & 6pm Eastern Standard time.

JD
    www.swamprunner.com

3. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I've had two predator engines....both have been great and taken all the abuse I can throw at them. Upgraded from the 420cc to the 670cc for more power. 420cc is now on my friend's kid's go cart and still running great after 3 years. I run a Beaver dam mud runner kit on a 1542.

I read alot of bad reviews on the duramax "16hp". Never really looked into the Lifans.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Thank you both for the good info. I have to admit that I was attracted by the 16hp sticker. Predator will win the bid. I am getting myself psyched about owning a long tail. I have heard great things about the Swamp Runner and can't wait. Just getting the greenbacks collected and going for it soon.
    I will measure the transom height and call you JD.