Which Swamp Runner?

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Tailfeathers, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

15' Grumman Jonboat. 16" transom height. 46" across the bottom at the transom. Normal everything else.
    I've been thinking the medium SR but the after seeing the video of that 94mph boat in Thailand, this 62 old idjit wants to go fast, so I'm thinking maybe the large SR with a 22HP motor. I know I won't hit 94 mph but want to feel the wind in my hair. I want some thrills thru the 4 inch water and have some fun. More HP, more fun.
    My question is about the over all handling of the big boy. I'm trying to weigh if the big boy would be fun, but just that much more constant work cause of the more weight to steer, maneuver etc that it would take away from the thrill of the extra speed. Also 2 or 3 guys ( beefy old farts) with too many decoys and crap, I could use the extra HP.
    So, with all that said, how much more effort is it to handle the Big Boy vs the Medium Boy?

Also I am assuming I need the regular 80" shaft?

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I'd get the Backwater SWOMP Lite 23 Swamprunner

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. warrenwaterfowler

As someone who owns a thai kit with a predator 670cc v twin on a 1542 mod v, take my word for it- with the payloads you describe you won't have to worry about going fast in 4" of water....you'll have to worry about going period. You might want to tell one of your buddys to buy thier own boat.

I'd suggest looking at something with a 35hp engine on it.

A video of a 90Lbs chinaman in 30Lbs boat with a souped up motorcycle engine on it shouldn't play into your decision to pick out a longtail for a loaded down duck boat where utility and dependability matter most.

I've got a SWOMP LITE glider kit ordered to replace my thai kit.

I got tired of constantly having to muscle the tiller up to keep the prop down- despite numourous and continual attempts at dailing it in, the prop wrapping up and fowling every time it get's near weeds and the constant greasing needed to keep it operating.

Will a thai kit get you out and back again? Yes- it's simple design and operation are amoung it's strong points....will it be "fun"? Probably not. If you have alot of stumps or rocks and have to "dig in" alot in that 4" of water- your arm will get a heck of a workout and you would be wise to buy a lot of extra aluminum props.

I'd suggest shopping around some for a longtail that BEST fits your requirements, or else you might end up buying two in the long run

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the info. I've had the same boat loaded with 3 guys( including me all around 200 lbs each + - ) and all the gear and ran pretty good, as fast as I would want to at night with my 9.9 Yamaha. Not on plane but a good speed for us farts. The 94 mph video was just something I threw in there as an inspiration to a long tail, not a comparison to any OD green boat expectation of any kind. Hitting the shaft fittings with a grease gun now and then and squirt the bearing buddies on the trailer is no big deal to me. Even if its every time. The $700 for the engine ( waiting for a 20% discount coupon from H Freight to come along to knock $140 off) along with the $700R Big kit totaling $1400 is at the top of my budget. $3350 Swomp Lite 23 for $4350 for the 35 is out of my league. I Went an looked at the 22 hp Predator twin last night at HF. That motor is big. Part of me wants the medium kit and the 13hp motor cause of size and cost, but in the end I don't want to be disappointed and know that the medium on the transom is ok, but I crave the big one. SO, with that said I am heading towards the Big SR. Thanks for the input fellas.

5. warrenwaterfowler

To each thier own. Let us know how it works out for ya.

6. Allinodad

Allinodad Senior Refuge Member

I have the medium kit with the 420 predator and I have to parrot what WW says. I understand budget issues that’s why I went this route. 1542 Jon boat with two guys, about 250lbs each, no gear 15.8 mph, same two guys 4 dozen decoys two guns and blind bags gets 11.3 mph and boat never gets on plane. I don’t ever have far to go, so speed is not that big an issue for me but if you want to stand you will really wear yourself out. If you have to go longer than 20 minutes or so it is a real bear. I have also had to replace 2 of the delrin bushings so if you get this kit I would order the brass bushing as well. I am in the process of saving up money to get a backwater kit with a 670 predator which will set me back about $2500 but the upside is definitely worth it I think. If you have any way to scrape up the extra $1000 I would recommend it. Here is the data to back up the speed claims. Cheers.

Attached Files:

7. warrenwaterfowler

Save a little $ by buying direct from backwater...thier "distributors" must not get very good discounts to pass along to thier customers...or they do and choose not to...either way i don't see alot of value the distributor adds at about $200 more than the price on the backwater website when i'm just buying the kit/parts and assembling it all myself.

8. Allinodad

I came up with that price using the v twin kit directly from them ($1850+ shipping) and using a harbor freight 20% coupon on the predator. If you know of a cheaper way please let me know. Cheers

9. warrenwaterfowler

Nope...that's the way to go. It was frustrating talking to (all) the ditributors listed on the backwater site trying to work a deal....NONE of them were less than buying direct....what's the point of having distributors if they can't bring savings or increased value to the sale? Instead of distributors, they should call them re-sellers, because that's all they're doing as far as i can see.

10. Allinodad

I remember you saying you were going to make the switch. Did you ever pull the trigger? If so how do you like it? Cheers